50 Ways to Leave Your Vista ;-)

Ex_Brit

Staff member
I just came across this gem in a group I hardly ever visit.

To the tune "50 ways to leave your lover" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvZHNBOkNA8

50 Ways to leave your Vista....

CHORUS:

You just format the drive , Clive
Get a New Mac , Jack
Y'don't need that crap toy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Boot from a *nix, Jix
You don't need to discuss much
Install XP, Lee
And get yourself free

This is a Paul Simon tune parody "50 ways to leave your Vista" (by yours truly) normally called "50 ways to leave your Lover"
The tune can be heard below
50 ways to leave your Vista
The problem is all inside your Drive
She said to me
The answer is easy if you
Take it logically
I’d like to help you in your struggle
To be free
There must be fifty ways
To leave your Vista

She said it’s really not my habit
To intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning
Won’t be lost or misconstrued
But I’ll repeat myself
At the risk of being crude
There must be fifty ways
To leave your Vista
Fifty ways to leave your Vista….

Well, I must admit that Windows 7 seems to be a lot friendlier, but is, to me at least, just an emasculated Vista. Plus it needs a lot of work to get everything working properly.

If your hardware has enough grunt, then any OS will perform OK.
You should see my Thinkpad (which came with W98), now I've installed XP on it. (Just trying to network it with my 2 desktops).
I got it talking wirelessly to my other PCs and the Internet, but it takes 20 minutes from power on till XP finishes initializing, and when I click on anything, it generally takes 20-30 seconds for a dialogue box to open. It works but it's so painfuly slow that I could never give it to my wife to use (Its intended purpose), and I'm going to have to put W98 back and try harder to get networking working.
(I'll probably try ME first as a half-way-house)

Sure Vista was shaky at first but now days Vista runs just as well as XP prvoided you've got 2GBs at least, all the updates, and take care to regualary maintence it. Disabling a few gotchas at startup can make it faster too, such as the gadget bar which I don't really care for but some enjoy.

Terry if I was you I would try putting on 2000, probably a lot less buggy than ME.

I don't have 2000. Just 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, W7
I'm just looking for the smallest footprint that will get the network up.
I never had problems with ME though, quite liked it.
It invented system restore, which has propogated through every subsequent OS, and included AGP and USB support natively unlike its predecessors, but didn't need any greater processor power than 98.
I always found it reliable right up until the final "farewell" WUD. I installed that and the system became complete sh*t overnight. I still think it was an act of sabotage by MS to force people like me onto XP, or I'd still have ME on that box till this day.

Back