7 dual boot with XP pro (7 running, XP won't Boot)

Thanks Kariozamorro,

That could be an option. Now to recreate/reformat the XP how would that work? I tried it from runing 7 on disk manager and it would not let me delete or format the D: XP, It mentioned something about a boot or OS. Is there a way of manualy overiding it?

I do have a windows upgrade disc that recovered 7 the last time when I used another program before the EasyBCD 2.0 87. I guess the main thing is to wipe out the old partition of XP pro and reinstall it. It is just that error message won't work with the xp install disc, I even tried the recovery disc and the same error message I stated a few posts ago. It was 0x00000007B (0xba4cf524, 0c0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Thanks for all your support again, I really appreciate it.

It won't let you format XP because it's "system". i.e. all the boot files including W7's are on there.
Use EasyBCD 2 latest build (get it again - there have been several builds recently) and use BCD Install/Repair / Change boot drive.
Point it at the W7 partition and it will copy all the boot files to W7.
Boot W7 again and it should now be "system" and it should allow you to format XP.

Hi Tery Thanks again,

I installed 2.0 89, however I went to Install/repair and it said unknown errors on it. I think my settings say boot drive is D: I tried to change it to C:frowning:where win 7 is on) but the details showed the boot drive is on D: now if that is any help?

Last edited:
Here are the error messages plus some more info

There are a total of 4 entries listed in the bootloader.
Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds.
Boot Drive: D:\
Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows 7
BCD ID: {dcda700d-3492-11df-8743-b61e463bd3f3}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Entry #2
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Entry #3
Name:
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \ntldr
Entry #4
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {dcda700f-3492-11df-8743-b61e463bd3f3}
Device: boot

-------------------Error message from changing boot to C: (win 7)

2.0 87 build error to change
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at (Object , String )
at ..š(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
EasyBCD
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.89
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.89
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/NeoSmart%20Technologies/EasyBCD/EasyBCD.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
{7057c0d5-5aee-4a97-9c41-f25a75da6ef3}
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.89
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/NeoSmart%20Technologies/EasyBCD/EasyBCD.exe
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.
For example:
<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>
When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

-----------------------------------------------
Boot Ini
; This boot.ini was automatically generated by NeoSmart Technologies' BootGrabber.exe
; Use EasyBCD from http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 to manage your bootloader
[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on D:\" /fastdetect

-------------------------------------------
Edit Boot Menu has

7 windows
7 (default)
(blank space)
Windows XP

I also deleted Xp and let it auto enter prior to this.

Last edited:
Update I found out that I actuly have a full 7 not just upgrade disc and was able to wipe out the partitions. I am starting with a fresh 7 then gona take the steps in adding XP Pro, I think that will be much smoother. I will update on the process and when I add XP as a duel boot and results.

Also is there any special steps to take when adding XP Ori 2ns on the same hardrive partitioned?

thanks again for all your guys help.

Last edited:
And if you're going to start over best installing oldest to newest, XP first and than W7. With that order you may not even need EasyBCD to setup the dual-boot.

Thanks Guys.

After a few more hours finaly got XP to boot up. I installed 7 first then had such a hard time to get XP to boot, I kept getting that error message. However I remember reading a few days back about the bios and the Sata option. I changed the sata from AHC... to IDE and XP booted up and over took 7

Right now I am at the point where I installed the proper drivers on XP but only XP boots (which I think I am more advanced now and I know I need to knock the MBR out with easy BCD)

Thanks kairozamorro but do you think it will be easy to do still with EasyBCD running from XP now with 7 installed first?

Also I changed the 100mb drive to S: I don't know if that makes a difference.

I will try that in a few.

First just want to give some updated status.
Initaly I had to set the MBR from XP since, it was instaled (version 2.0 89)

Using 2.0 89. I added the entry xp and let it auto detect, then went to tools and auto configure boot.ini.

Restarted

Now Windows 7 shows along with Windows XP. Since I changed the Sata mode in Bios to ide, XP started but had to go to last known good configuration and it fired right up and ran. THen restarted went to Win 7 (7 tried to boot up then restarted, just like XP did prior to me restarting fresh with 7 up first and XP 2nd. The way I fixed 7 to run again was to set the SATA mode back to AHC..(Iforget the proper name) but it ran again. However XP wouldnt run, so I went back into Bios and changed the SATA mode to IDE again, and XP ran.

I also notice since I re-labled that 100mb drive to S: originaly, on both operating systems, it is now the C: and the others are D and E

Thanks again for all your help

Last edited:
Thanks Kairo and everyone,

I uninstalled 7 by deleting the partition and the reserved 100mb, and added a new partition for 7 to be installed (7 installed properly) with (XP partition left in tact. ) 7 Is C: now and XP is D: now. 100mb reserve back. (Ideleted the old one)

I installed EastBCD 2.0 90 and add the XP entry, it auto configed then wen tto tools, Auto Boot.ini restarted and same thing. 7 Only worked on AHCI mode and XP only worked on IDE mode from (Sata Mode).

Many Thanks again for helping

Last edited:
I wiped everything from the hardrive from the last configuration, Put in my XP Pro Disk, created 2 partitions from XP Pro Disk, Formated C: for XP (But not the other partition I left it raw) All this while in IDE mode. XP installed sucessfully

I then Put in Win 7 install DIsk (it is a fresh copy of 7 Home) Still in IDE mode, it booted the disk to install, I hit advanced mode (I think its called that) and installed 7 to the unalocated space which is around 100 gigs I think (I gave XP Pro 210 Gigs) And believe it or not It loaded up the Win 7 Operating system.

I then restarted and what I saw was "Earlier version of windows" and 7 (in second) on the boot menu. I tested 7 to load up and it worked great (I Checked the disk manager and 7 wrote to C: drive) and XP is now on D Drive.

I then restarted and tested XP and it worked!!!

I can't thank you guys and this forum enough. I now have the best of both worlds. 7 and XP pro on 1 partioned 320 gig hardrive on a laptop.

Many Thanks again for your time and support.

Last edited:
Sure thing. Use EasyBCD > Edit Boot Menu to rename the entry to something more meaningful if you want... like "Windows XP".

Back