A few NeoGrub questions

I've been using EasyBCD for quite a while. Up till now, I've used it to select between Vista and the Grub menu (I have several different Linux distributions boot from Grub).

Since I use Grub Legacy (which doesn't understand the xfs file system), I've used a small /boot partition formatted as ext2. I'm thinking of saving myself that partition (not because of disk space, but because of the SCSI partition naming limit (I'm up to the maximum of 15 now). As an experiment, I've installed NeoGrub and created a menu.lst which is pretty close to the one I use under Grub legacy. Most of it is working, and I think I can work out the remaining kinks.

Question 1. Does NeoGrub support background images the same way that Grub does? I've got a rather nice image I'd like to use, but haven't so far been able to make it work.

Question 2. Is it possible to use NeoGrub to boot Vista? Sounds silly, I know, but if I can do that, I can set the timeout on the BCD menu to something very short and have just the NeoGrub menu to boot all the various OS's on the machine.

One item which confused me no end - one of the reasons I was interested in NeoGrub was its support for ext4. I originally had EasyBCD 1.7.2 installed, which doesn't support ext4. When I installed the current (2.02?) version, I was somewhat confused since there did not seem to be any ext4 support. Took me a little while to realise that I needed to remove the installed version of NeoGrub and reinstall it. I may just have missed something in the docs, but it might be a good idea to make a reasonably prominent note so that people realise they need to uninstall NeoGrub as well as EasyBCD.

On a similar note, I would like to see some sort of progress indicator, or notice of success when installing NeoGrub. I wasn't at all sure when the install had finished, and was a bit wary of doing anything else while I was still uncertain about the install.

Overall, an excellent product. Made things much easier when handling Vista and the 7 Linux distributions I've currently got installed :brows:

Paul.

Back