About to Install - Question on Backup

dbat

About to Install - Question on Windows Home Server (WHS) Backup

Hi - I have a Master Hard Drive (Windows 7) and Slave Hard Drive (Snow Leopard).

I can switch between the hard drives using my motherboard, but would prefer a boot loader, saw some videos on EasyBCD and seems that is possible.

1. Does EasyBCD only modify the Windows Boot Loader? For example, if I disconnect my Snow Leopard Hard Drive, I would boot straight into Windows.

2. If I ever want to revert back to how my system/boot process was, is it easy/clean way to uninstall EasyBCD,?

3. Lastly, I use Windows Home Server to keep my backups, do you know if I ever recover a Windows 7 backup, if that will cause a problem with the EasyBCD boot loader options.

Basically, I want to cover my bases before I end up doing a lot of extra work.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi dbat, welcome to NST.

The first thing to realize is that EasyBCD does not in any way replace your bootloader. It simple extends the functionality of your current Windows bootloader by supercharging it with cool features and support for non-Windows operating systems. You can use it to *modify* the Windows bootloader.

As such,

1) Yes, only the Windows bootloader.
2) Installing or removing EasyBCD has no effect on the bootloader. Changes made to the bootloader will stick.
3) 100% compatible.

Thanks for the response, I've run into some trouble it seems.

I have the OS on Separate Drives, how would I be able to assign the second drive to Snow Leopard.

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Snow Leopard
BCD ID: {1a6903e5-38a3-11df-aec0-ff83cb074fcc}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\nst_mac.mbr

The Win7 is the Master Drive and SL is the Slave, based on the setting above if I load Snow Leopard, I get the following error:

"Chain Booting Error"

Addendum:

I selected the 'EFI' option for the Snow Leopard this time around, which boots into giving me options to select Windows 7/Windows 7 System Reserved/ and Mac OS

I select Mac OS, the apple logo appears but keeps clocking without actually going into the OS.

It seems its not possible with EasyBCD to have Snow Leopard on one hard drive and Windows 7 on the other, then appear on the Boot Menu

Last edited:
Back