Accidently Created my Internal HD As Bootable External Media

olesak11

In the EasyBCD Bootloader Setup section ,it has the option to Create Bootable External Media and to Write the Windows bootloader to the MBR.

I recently installed Linux along with Windows, and I meant to click on "Write MBR." However, I accidently clicked on Create Bootable External Media and my Internal HD was the default option, so it went through the process did it.
When I went to reboot my computer, neither OS would boot up. I inserted my Windows Recovery Disc and it was unable to repair it, nor could it even find my operating system. I tried repairing the bootloader in the command prompt, I kept getting the response "A device attached to your system is not functioning properly."

I have no idea what to do! All I need is to set up my windows bootloader to work again so that I can use my computer, and I want to avoid a complete re-install.

Please help!!

Thanks in advance!

You need to use diskpart from the Windows Recovery Disc in the command line to set the active partition back to what it was.

I just tried that and it didn't work...when I try and boot it gives me the screen that says Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer, chosoe language, and click "repair computer."

It says the problem is:
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

And the self-repair from the disc doesn't work. Neither did setting it to active

Addendum:

Alright I got it working again. Here is what i did:

Windows 7 Repair Disk > Command Prompt:

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition (# that you want to use)
active
exit
exit

Went back in to Command Prompt:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrex.exe /rebuildbcd
*it will ask you to add it, hit "y"
exit
restart computer and you should be good to go!

Last edited:
tried that with a disk I had prepared - restored an image onto it, but image was from a dell - so missing boot files wwhich dell in thier "wisdom" stick on an invisible partition that the backup sofware cant see (so you ahve to send it in to them for repair)
fixmbr reported succesful. fixboot reported sucessful, but rebuild bcd said it found no windows instattlations (despite there being a windows directory with everything except boot files

any thoughts???

Addendum:

tried all these and got a reply from rebuildbcd - tota identified windows installations 0
despite there being the windows directory, bootloader etc - can easybcd tell it where to find them? (I will ahve to take out the new disk and boot with the old one - attach the new via usb

Last edited:
Back