Acronis Rescue disk problem

marv32

:frowning:As noted in the documentation,

"if you are using any software that customizes the MBR, such as Roxio GoBack or Acronis TrueImage, the post-boot interface for these applications will no longer be available. See [*this page*] for more information getting these programs to work with EasyBCD."

I could not find any further info on that page, nor any other, on how to get my Acronis rescue disk to work!!?? The disk works fine in another Win 7 computer (no dual boot system in operation). I also tried Acronis Boot Manager which tried to load on start-up and then disappeared as might be expected from the above info.

I would appreciate any info to enable me to use the rescue disk to access my Acronis backups when needed. Along with that, would like to know if the dual boot system itself can be removed for later use or inactivated as I really see no need for it at present (unless it can enable the use of Acronis Boot Manager).

I have no idea what documentation you are referring to, always a good idea to provide a link.

As your post in EasyBCD support then Im assuming thats what you want to use to boot Acronis. Open Acronis True Image and from the Tools menu select Create Bootable Media and choose ISO Media and name it AcronisTI or whatever (Dont use any spaces in the name). Open EasyBCD and select Add New Entry and click ISO, give it a name like Acronis True Image then point EasyBCD to the ISO you created earlier. This will be added to your boot menu which you can then select on startup.

You need to give more info on the dual boot problem so help can be given.

JoeyP, thanks for your guidance. Am hung up on Acronis Bootable Media. 'Wizard' asks for "command-line startup parameters for the bootable media being created". Can you tell me what startup parameters would apply in this case since Acronis Help doesn't?

Its just an additional option, just ignore that screen and click Next and you will give option to create CD or ISO

Attachments

• sshot-25.jpg
    sshot-25.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 7
Oh so it is an Acronis Issue and has nothing at all to do with EasyBCD. Well then we cant assist you. This is not their support forums. Sorry but we only support NeoSmart Products.

Moved to proper area. Not an EasyBCD issue.

Basically what is is saying is re-installing Windows 7/Vista MBR using EasyBCD well disable the ability to access Acronis' secure zone partition (a partition you can use for storing backups securely on hard drive) at boot time, but this can be easily fixed. Once Windows is booting again, you can easily re-enable the startup recovery manager from Acronis (if installed in Windows) or from the disc itself by booting from it. The startup recovery manager is an installed copy of the boot disc on your hard drive so that you can restore backups in an emergency without the need to use the disc. It is a passthrough boot manager, giving you a few seconds to hit F11 before passing control to the Windows boot manager.

Last edited:
For JoeyP,
I followed your suggestion of "just ignore that screen and click Next and you will give option to create CD or ISO" and created a CD which repeated the problem again. I believe the box needs startup command-line parameters (Linux Grub?) because on a subsequent summary screen (see attached) it states "no autostart configured". A fellow computer group member said his son knows Linux well and will supply me with startup parameters. So I hope to find out soon if that works.

Many thanks again for your time and effort.

Attachments

• Acronis Screen Capture Media Builder-2.doc
    76.5 KB · Views: 5
Basically what is is saying is re-installing Windows 7/Vista MBR using EasyBCD well disable the ability to access Acronis' secure zone partition (a partition you can use for storing backups securely on hard drive) at boot time, but this can be easily fixed. Once Windows is booting again, you can easily re-enable the startup recovery manager from Acronis (if installed in Windows) or from the disc itself by booting from it. The startup recovery manager is an installed copy of the boot disc on your hard drive so that you can restore backups in an emergency without the need to use the disc. It is a passthrough boot manager, giving you a few seconds to hit F11 before passing control to the Windows boot manager.

Justin, I have tried to use startup recovery manager several times. It shows up in the dual boot with it being Acronis ISO "[forget the 3rd word]". When I select the Acronis boot option, I get the Acronis splash screen but the mouse and keyboard are locked up -- the same failure mode as my Acronis rescue disk. I believe a Linux command needs to be inserted to autostart the Acronis program in the boot sequence. I've also downloaded the latest Acronis ISO file and a BART PE Add-on's file. The latter hasn't worked either.

Sorry I dont get that message, I steer well clear of all that Linux stuff and only use the Windows Boot Loader with EasyBCD handling the entries. If your using that Acronis Secure Zone thing then I would get rid and just use the Windows Recovery Environment from DVD or USB disk to recreate the boot sector and MBR.

I'm steering clear of Acronis Secure Zone and am trying to make the Bootable Media work. Yesterday, I thought I had a solution. I used the EasyBCD command to repair the connection. Upon reboot, the Acronis image appeared as usual but the mouse worked and I could access the program. I rebooted again and it worked again. But today it did not work. Nuts!
When I look in EasyBCD at entry #2, Acronis ISO entry, there is a 'Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr'. I'm going to look into NeoGrub to see if the Acronis ISO can be worked into the boot process analogous to some example given in NeoGrub. Like you, I'm not comfortable with Linux. However, I am willing to learn.

Acronis Startup Recovery Manager

I would be interested in further developments on this matter. I have several computers that are dual/triple boot (XP, 7, Linux Distros) and employ EasyBCD to navigate them. I recommend Acronis TI to all my clients but will have to rethink this posture if this problem cannot be resolved. Thanks for any guidance!

The easiest way around this is to set up the dual-boot with EasyBCD, and after everything is working fine install Acronis TI and its boot helper.

I would be interested in further developments on this matter. I have several computers that are dual/triple boot (XP, 7, Linux Distros) and employ EasyBCD to navigate them. I recommend Acronis TI to all my clients but will have to rethink this posture if this problem cannot be resolved. Thanks for any guidance!

FWIW, I plan to keep working at this problem, though, at this time I have some other matters that take priority over this matter. My Acronis backup's are useless if I can't access them after a serious computer crash so there's lot's of incentive here for me.

There's a better option than all this, and safer too.

Don't install the Acronis boot helper, and with EasyBCD add an entry to the ISO image for the Acronis tools.

Back