Active hard drive question

rar591

I have 2 internal hard drives c: and M:

Out of ignorance, I some how have drive M: set as the Active Partition And C: which houses the WIN Home Premium does
not show as Active.

I was trying to do a system back up with EaseUS and ran into a problem.

Their Technical Support Department sent me this reply:
"We found M is 'System' partition and C is 'Boot' partition. You may use 'Data backup' -> 'Disk/Partition' to back up both of them. Or you may
use EasyBCD to change the 'System' to C so that you can do System backup
without issue".

I need some guidance on how to do this using Easy BCD. Any assistance is aprreciated. Thanks.

Before instructing you on how to modify the location of boot files with EasyBCD, I'd like to confirm that it is really necessary.
Can you post a screenshot of your Disk Management screen and copy/paste the EasyBCD "view settings" text (detailed mode).
The sticky thread will help you with attaching files if you need it.

sreen shot of rar591 Disk Management

Here it is. Thanks for the reply

Addendum

rar591 Easy BCD view settings

Attachments

• rar591_disk mgmt..jpg
    rar591_disk mgmt..jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 5
  • rar591_Easy BCD settings.jpg
    rar591_Easy BCD settings.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 5
Make sure that your Control Panel > Folder Options are set like this, so that you can see the super-hidden boot files, and check whether you have a bootmgr file and \boot folder on both D: and M:
If they are present in both places, then you just need to change your BIOS settings to boot from the correct HDD (D/C not M).(or if you own a Dell which doesn't allow you to change the BIOS boot sequence, swap the cables between the two drives)
I can't imagine how you accidentally moved your boot files to another HDD unless you installed the new HDD then did a startup repair, but since you are asking for advice on using EasyBCD, I assume you didn't deliberately move them with it.
If the boot files on M: are the only copies on the PC, then you can use EasyBCD to put them back on D where they belong.
Check first though.

thank you

Addendum

There is a boot folder on D: there is NOT on M:

When the system boots; it boots C: it does NOT boot M:

Disk Management flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

so both MS and Easy are telling you that the system is booted via M:\boot\BCD.

If you have changed the BIOS to boot from D before M you should see in Disk Management that D becomes "active" and "system" and EasyBCD will confirm that the boot drive is D.

Please forgive my ignorance and inexperience on this topic. I don't feel confident with Easy BCD to try this. Is there any drawback to leaving the
current set up ''as is'?

Do what you feel comfortable with.
Not trying to entice you out of your depth.
EasyBCD will always be there to help if you get fed up with managing the situation mechanically, whenever you feel confident.

Back