add Win7 32 bit to a dual boot Win8 64 win7 64 system

pmcardle

I have tried to add Win 7 32 bit to a a PC which dual boots win7 64bit and Win8 64bit.
When I try to add Win7 32bit from dvd it starts to copy windows files and then gives a hardware error (which suggests that a USB device has been removed incorrectly). I need the Win7 32bit to be able to use XPmode to run a 16-bit code editor which I still use for testing.
I have disabled fast startup in Win8 to prevent the error caused by Win8 hibernating the disc.

Does setup fail during the file copy phase, or do you just mean that the install fails somewhere before completion ?
If the latter, do you have the BIOS set to boot DVD before HDD ?
A temporary BIOS override will get setup started, but the install will fail at the first automatic reboot because it will attempt to boot the incomplete installation instead of returning to the DVD to do phase 2 of the setup.

Problem Fixed

Does setup fail during the file copy phase, or do you just mean that the install fails somewhere before completion ?
If the latter, do you have the BIOS set to boot DVD before HDD ?
A temporary BIOS override will get setup started, but the install will fail at the first automatic reboot because it will attempt to boot the incomplete installation instead of returning to the DVD to do phase 2 of the setup.

I have got the system to work. I had set the boot order correctly however attempts several times to boot from the win 7 32bit dvd failed. The following worked.
I went into setup (F2 on my DELL) and then put the Windows DVD into the drive. I pressed ESC to exit the BIOS without any changes and the system booted correctly from the DVD. WIN 7 32bit installed into the 50GByte primary partition that I had made for it with no problems.
When It had finished I used EasyBCD to rename the Windows 7s to Windows 7 32bit etc to avoid confusion.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Back