Add XP control of EasyBCD setup by W7

alan9876

At the moment I have to boot into W7 (Windows 7) to configure the Boot menu delay and default choice via EasyBCD v 2.0.1.111.

XP runs much sweeter and boots 4 times faster than W7, so I now wish to configure from XP in partition 1 by adding EasyBCD v 2.0.2 to be downloaded in H:\ = partition 4.

My son added Windows 7 to my XP Home +SP3 laptop, and installed EasyBCD v 2.0.1.111 within W7 to configure the boot menu choice delay and the default O.S. (my faithful XP)

Since then I have added Macrium Reflect to the system, and this has created C:\Boot\Macrium which adds 131 MB in 26 files to your C:\Boot folder.

When I add XP control of EasyBCD will this damage the Macrium addition within C:\Boot,
and will this be compatible with what was created by EasyBCD v 2.0.1.111 under W7 ?

My son added W7 and EasyBCD to fast for me to follow (he works in I.T. Support).
Will it all be self evident once I try using the EastBCD editor ?
Is there an easy guide / document you would recommend ?

I now wish to add to the Boot options a third O.S. in Partition no. 2, currently known as drive R:\.
When I have a "perfect" system I create a partition image archive file to restore normality after bad crash. Restoring the image to Partition 2 and naming it as R:\ is a good test of whether an image is good or bad - but some people have found that a good image will not necessarily boot and that you will not know for sure until you have booted.
Without dual boot the only way to prove boot-ability is to restore the image to C:\, and if that fails you have no O.S. and the last image is useless. Till now I have crossed my fingers and hoped that the image will boot when I need it. I expect to now test boot-ability by booting into Partition 2, with no risk of damage to the "proper" installations in Partitions 1 and 7.

Regards
Alan

Attachments

• sshot-192.gif
    sshot-192.gif
    31.8 KB · Views: 4
You only have one BCD (in the "system" partition - your XP).
It doesn't matter where you run EasyBCD, (provided the OS has .NET 2.0 SP1 installed), that's what it will be operating on.
The only difference you'll see will be cosmetic.
Windows systems each keep their own map of partition letters in their registry, which aren't necessarily the same. The BCD doesn't contain letters (just UIDs), but EasyBCD translates them to the letters as seen on the system running it, so you'll see apparent discrepencies when looking at the same BCD from different sides. Just remember that what you see in Explorer is also what you'll see in EasyBCD.

Back