Added XP, WINPE boot options using EasyBCD,Unable to set default OS through command

Vishwasnp

Hello all

I am new to this forum

I am automating a system with WInXP and WINPE

I Initially had WIn XP system on which, Using EasyBCD. I was able to add WINPE

But now in one situation, I need to change default OS to WINPE and boot the machine through command line (CMD), but somehow I am not able to do this using command line BCDEDit options like in WINDOWS 7 :??

Now I can understand that WINXP does not have BCD , but is there anyway I could enable changing of default OS on Boot through command options ? :smile:

thanks again

EasyBCD only supports Windows Vista and up. If you were able to use EasyBCD on Windows xP to add WinPE, then you can use EasyBCD to change the default OS too.

EasyBCD only supports Windows Vista and up. If you were able to use EasyBCD on Windows xP to add WinPE, then you can use EasyBCD to change the default OS too.

Hello , thanks for the reply

But I am sorry I did not fully explain how I managed to get EASYBCD running in my XP PC

I actually coped the c:\Boot folder from a Win 7 pc and put it up in XP c:\ drive , also Bootmgr file

Hence I was able to make easy BCD add WINPE in Boot menu using the BCD file :smile:

But now I need to change the default OS from XP to WINPE ( in command of course, not through GUI) , which I cannot using bcd commands as XP does not support it

Now I can see 2 ways to solve this scanario

1. Find any way to install BCD.exe in XP and run BCD commands
2. Add WINPE in Boot.ini file of XP and use the usual BootCFG commands to set it is default (without using EASYBCD I suppose)

could this be possible ? :scared:

In the OP, he's saying that he wants to set up a command line (presumably no manual intervention) solution for a particular situation where the default needs to be changed. If it were Vista/7 he'd use BCDedit commands, but there's no BCDedit available on XP.
(leastwise, that's what I think he means)

In the OP, he's saying that he wants to set up a command line (presumably no manual intervention) solution for a particular situation where the default needs to be changed. If it were Vista/7 he'd use BCDedit commands, but there's no BCDedit available on XP.
(leastwise, that's what I think he means)

Hi . sorry for late reply, yes I was actually looking for a way to use bcd edit commands in WIndows xp .

but by sheer luck I experimented by copying the bcd.exe from a win7 machine and pasted it in windows XP win32 folder

and surprise ! the bcd edit commands worked with XP too !! :??

Of course the happiness was short lived as my hard disk got corrupted, and now since the machine is very old.I am disposing it :frowning:

what i am thinking is , is it ok to use WIn7/Vista exe in XP ?

Last edited:
Back