Adding EasyBCD to Existing Dual Boot Setup

scrapser

I already have WinXP Pro and Vista 32 installed on my system. I installed WinXP first and added Vista afterwards. I have three physical drives and partioned each to have only one partition. I installed WinXP on drive 0, Vista on drive 1, and use the third for data.

I don't like that I must choose an OS within 30 seconds before the default is launched. I used to use System Commander 9 but since building a new system cannot get it to work (I suspect it's because I had both OS's on two partitions on my first physical drive on the old system that allowed it to work). With this new system it simply doesn't.

Will EasyBCD give me a timer to load a system? Also, can I install and set it up even though I already have both OS's already installed as described?

Thanks much!

EasyBCD will easily go onto both versions while the main use is seen when installed on Vista as an alternate gui method of editing the newer form of boot loader the BCD file. Vista has it's own BCD editor already included that uses the command prompt method.

The default 30 seconds displayed time can be reduced to under 5 seconds while not going lower then that for most is aadvised. That will still allow time to select the second other then default OS set. You can have XP set as the default with the EasyBCD tool while Vista is recommended for those new to using to using it.

The documentation provided for EasyBCD in the guides is the best reference there including screenshots for use. http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/EasyBCD+Documentation+Home

Hi scrapser, welcome to NST.
You don't even need 3rd party software to do it.
Vista / Control panel / System / Advanced system properties / advanced / startup and recovery/
You can change your timeout and default system to what you want in there.

...Though if you're like everyone here who hates MS's bcdedit for working with the boot store, you should go ahead and download EasyBCD and install it in Vista for easy management. Not only does it do everything you want, but It can also be used to add new entries, edit existing ones, and backup your boot settings for easy recovery from problems down the road.

Hi scrapser, welcome to NST.
You don't even need 3rd party software to do it.
Vista / Control panel / System / Advanced system properties / advanced / startup and recovery/
You can change your timeout and default system to what you want in there.

Isn't it easier to Right click on Computer/Properties/Advanced system settings/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, which will send you to the same place? :wink: I don't know...I just think it is easier! :grinning:

-Coolname007

Isn't it easier to Right click on Computer/Properties/Advanced system settings/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, which will send you to the same place? :wink: I don't know...I just think it is easier! :grinning:

-Coolname007

You can do it that way for each separate setting or have it all rolled up in one useful utility like EasyBCD.

I have to agree with kairozamorro about still going for the EasyBCD tool to have onhand if scrapser later decides to add on another OS or wants to edit anything. But that will still be upto scrapser there.

I have to agree with kairozamorro about still going for the EasyBCD tool to have onhand if scrapser later decides to add on another OS or wants to edit anything. But that will still be upto scrapser there.

I think that is the easier way, as well...:smile: I was just making the case to Terry that it would be easier to get there by right clicking on the Computer, rather than going to the Control Panel! :brows:

Cheers! :grinning:

-Coolname007

If that's you to change you would simply go through the properties method and call it a day. The tool is still there however for those who will be looking at making other changes like changing the default OS or adding a Linux distro like ubuntu into the mix. It's kind of a two way street in that sense. :grinning:

I have control panel in the "start" expanding "as menu", so it's exactly the same number of clicks either way.
But whatever way you're used to works just the same.
I'm not trying to put off anyone from downloading and using the magnificent and free EasyBCD.
Just pointing out that this is one of the few things (make that the only thing) Vista lets you manage in the boot without resorting to 1980's methods. For all other boot tasks there is no substitute. EasyBCD Rules.

Tell me about it. When Vista first came and I was looking for a way to dual boot that with XP and ? there is was! Otherwise you would alwaus end up with...

Vista

XP

And now Window 7 on top of the mix! :scared: not to mention ubuntu in there too. :lol: It's a very versatile tool especially if you have to reinstall either version for some reason.

Thanks for all the replies. I will install it while checking out the native Vista tool as well. My old System Commander gave me the luxury of turning on the computer and waiting until I decided to boot into a particular operating system. It's just something I got used to having available. I know it seems trivial but....

I plan on checking out Windows 7 when it arrives on the shelves (not much into BETA testing...don't have the time) so it will come in handy for that as well I suppose. Great forum BTW.

I found it interesting as long as you don't mind no longer seeing Windows Mail or photo shop included in the next version. It even runs some of those old 98-XP games better then seen with Vista believe or not! Have a look at few here. :grinning:

The stability of Vista with an improved performance over both Vista and XP seen so far.

If you don't want the system to default, just make timeout(1000) by any of the methods we've discussed, and it'll wait over 16 minutes. (Should be enough for you to consider your options carefully)
Personally, I have timeout(5) which is enough time to get in and choose something different, but boots Vista (99% in use) unattended with no appreciable delay.

5 seconds that much! Gee? I thought 3 seconds was quick enough. :brows:

With 7 now added into the mix here I had to allow for ubuntu 64bit as well as XP and Vista plus trying out the 64bit beta on top of that bringing the time up a little to 10 seconds. I must be having a sllllowww day. :nerd::lol:

Until the beta was available here having it set low was all that was needed since Vista was set as the primary OS. For installing, trying out, and even sending some feedback I now have to keep 7 set for that here.

PC eye, you can leave it at 3 seconds if you perfer. The second you press any key on the keyboard at all during the time bootmgr provides you with your choices will stop the auto-timer. This is similar somewhat to grub where users who dual-boot would perfer not to have thier menus show at all so when they do want to dual-boot something other than the default all they haft to do is hold down the ESC key and grub will display its menu.

The timer doesn't simply stop simply when moving between items in Windows. You will still see the default load unless you press the enter key once you select another version other then default or another OS added in. But you have to move quick before Vista or 7 loads depending on which drive here is being booted from.

XP and Vista can be booted from either of the two satas while 7 only when booting up from the second for the 32bit beta installed there. At this time however I will be lowering down from 10 seconds where it is now since one drive will be removed only having been setup temporarily.

Reboot and hit the down or up keys once. Look at the bottom of your screen and see that the timer isn't there anymore. I think you'll be surprised...

Last edited:
I won't be surprized at anything since I'm already multibooting across separates drives each seeing multiple entries. :lol: By the time I move the up or down another finger is already pressing the enter key to confirm the selection if not default.

Back