Adding Isos to MBR Works for a Boot or Two... Then Breaks

ac2334

I am running a quad-boot setup with XP, Vista, 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. The setup is as follows, with each Windows partition containing it's own boot files:

XP - Partition 1, NTFS

Vista - Partition 2, NTFS

7 - Partition 3, NTFS (Active, System Partition)

- Extended Partition -

Ubuntu Boot - Partition 5, ext4

Ubuntu Swap - Partition 6, linux swap

Ubuntu Main - Partition 7, ext 4

Data Storage - Partition 8, NTFS

Documents - Partition 9, NTFS

Ok, so the quad-boot works without issues, but I now want to add two isos to the Windows Boot Manager - one for Acronis Startup Recover Manager and one for Parted Magic.

When I add them in EasyBCD I can successfully boot to each and use them as if the cd was in the drive. However, upon rebooting and re-attempting to run them I get a missing neogrub error..

This also breaks linux and I need to then go into EasyBCD and add linux back (automatically add using Grub2) and then it works. Also, adding the ISOs anew allows me to boot them once again, but then they break again.

I have tried both running the ISOs from the disc as well as running from memory and it makes no difference...

It should be noted that the ISOs reside on the active, Windows 7 partition.

How can I resolve this grub-based error???

Thank you!! :brows:

How would I check that?

Thank you

edit: actually, I assume that they don't because even when I boot to various os's, the Windows 7 partition always remains active..and when I repair the errors the Windows 7 partition remains active and is unchanged.

What else can I try?

Last edited:
I have never seen this before - it sounds almost like your ANG and NeoGrubx files in the root of the boot drive are being deleted after each run or two.

Back