adding windows98/tripleboot

tluper

I have an xp/7 machine that i primarily use for gaming. I want to add a windows 98 partition. I did install win98 onto a 3rd partition that is fat32. what do i need to do to get it to show up in my bootloader? currently it shows:

1. older version of windows
2. windows 7

Ideally it would show:

1. win98
2. winxp
3. win7

How do i accomplish this? I tried adding an entry within EasyBCD but it didn't seem to be pointing to an actual disk location, so i panicked and undid my changes. I don't want to brick my machine and this is all new to me. If i was starting over from scratch I would just install 98 first, but i really don't want to start over from scratch, either.

You can only achieve a multi-bootwith a Windows system older than XP if the DOS/9x/ME system occupies the start of the boot drive.
This is because those systems before XP's NTLDR arrived were not multi-bootable. They used a boot process which relied on the MBR being able to continue the boot process by going to a specific address on the HDD which contained the next portion of the boot code.
Even in a PC booted by Windows Vista->W11, the legacy system still will only function in that physical space..

Back