Adding XP 64-Bit to the 7 MBR

Jakey11

I have 3 partitions, Local Disk(C:smile: (My XP 32-bit partition) Windows 7 (D:smile: and Local Disk F): (My XP 64-bit partition) XP 64-bit won't show up, if I install the Vista/7 MBR. However, if I install the XP MBR, it shows up, but not Windows 7. This shows in the boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER
EasyBCD is showing the Vista/7 MBR, even though the boot.ini shows XP's MBR. It seems like a conflict!

You can't boot Vista/7/8 from XP's NTLDR.
You must have the latest OS in control.
You cannot have two NTLDR entries in the Vista/7/8 BCD because MS won't allow it. Their design is that you select between XP choices in a second menu.
NeoSmart has circumvented this restriction by building a custom XP loader. That will allow you to put multiple XPs in the BCD.
You have to specify them manually (not let EasyBCD auto-configure) and don't change what EasyBCD sets up. (You will think it's not done what you asked, but it will have done the right thing even if you don't know why)
Read all about it here
Windows XP - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Sorry, What's a shame ?
EasyBCD will do what you want provided that you specify the two XPs manually.

You don't add entries to the MBR, but to the BCD.
Delete the first XP entry (auto configured), and add two XP entries (manually specified), and you have what you want - a boot menu with W7 and two XPs

You tell it what each XP system disk letter is as seen from the OS running EasyBCD (presumably W7), not what they will be when they are booted. (Use the same letter as W7 Windows Explorer calls each XP partition).
The letter you specify will not appear in the BCD. That is not a mistake. The BCD points to the location of the files which contain the information about where XP is, not to XP itself. You still need to tell it the correct letter, for it to place in those files.

Back