Advanced Boot Options XP

Krusso88

I have dual boot set up with Windows 7 and XP. When asked to select OS, I can access Advanced Options for Windows 7 by pressing F8, but there is no option to do that for XP. Is there any way to add this option to the boot options?

Hello Krusso88, welcome to NST

Are you having a problem with EasyBCD or with XP? If its just XP it should go in legacy support (not to worry if it does it'll be moved).

Unfortunately MS doesnt provide that functionality. What is going on behind the scenes is that the new windows bootloader (bootmgr) is loading the previous windows loader (ntldr) which than loads XP as it normally would. If you'd like to get to XP's advanced options menu you well need to select the entry for XP and immediately intercept ntldr with F8 before it tries to boot XP.

If you are having problems with XP right now detail it and we'll try to help.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion. It's just a problem with XP, nothing wrong with EasyBCD. I needed to get into safe mode, and the only way I could manage to do so was to let it boot into XP, and do a hard reset of my machine (which brought up the "Windows did not start up properly" menu). I will try to do what you said (I was pressing F8 as my machine was booting up before selecting XP), but if not then I'll manage with my workaround method since I don't foresee using Safe Mode THAT often.

Sorry for the confusion. It's just a problem with XP, nothing wrong with EasyBCD. I needed to get into safe mode, and the only way I could manage to do so was to let it boot into XP, and do a hard reset of my machine (which brought up the "Windows did not start up properly" menu). I will try to do what you said (I was pressing F8 as my machine was booting up before selecting XP), but if not then I'll manage with my workaround method since I don't foresee using Safe Mode THAT often.
Don't hard reboot. That can do some serious damage to Windows. Select the XP entry in the dual-boot menu, and right after start hitting the F8 key.

Back