After Clone and Crash System on D: Boot on C:

CRCazenave

Problem:
Cloned two SSDs C: to D:
C: was system and boot drive before D: clone
Boot crash occurred which required repair with original Win 8 disc

Now under Disk Management
C: has "Boot", D: has "system".

Windows reports that C: is system Disc (flag on that drive)

Under EasyBCD
Boot Manager is D:
Boot Loader order is C: D: (which has no name, tried to name it but that renamed Easeus PE boot instead) and Ramdisk C: Easeus Pre Boot

I would like to restore C: to Boot and System so I can remove clone D: Without completely rebuilding system.

Solutions?

Last edited:
Disk Management flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

When you used your W8 DVD to "startup repair", it must have created the new boot files on your clone (it will choose the highest priority "active" partition).
You can copy them back to C, where you want them using
Changing the Boot Partition

(Don't forget to alter the BIOS afterwards to boot from the other SSD)

Last edited:
Thanks Terry, I figured that was the way to go. I was also trying to determine which drive is which in bios because they are identical "in description" but one is bus0 and the other is bus1. I suppose if it does not boot just open bios and flip the two and try again. I will probably try that on Sunday since I am using the computer for work today and need it running!

BTW did you read about the old WW2 plane that was a US survivor of Today's sneak attack being donated to a museum? I don't think the next war will leave much for future generations and I doubt seriously if we could repeat what our parents did in WW2 today. Just my opinion.

I had a similar problem with two WD 500 Blue drives which had almost identical BIOS descriptions and I could never remember which was which in BIOS setup, so I identified them by their SATA channel, making sure that the one which should normally boot first was on the lowest address.
That doesn't actually affect the boot order of course, but it meant that whenever I'd been juggling priorities, I always knew which one to move back to the head of the boot priority menu.

I have enormous respect for my parents' generation and what they did to make a world so safe for mine to grow up in. Whilst it's tempting to look at some of the excesses and trivial pastimes of today's celebrity obsessed generation and doubt their potential, we shouldn't forget that in the late 30's similar doubts were being expressed then in the light of the Oxford Union debate carrying the motion "This house would not fight for King and Country"
In the event, they were not found lacking, and given a similar cause I'm sure today's youth would also rise to the challenge. My generation of post-war baby boomers are the most fortunate of all I think. All of our formative years in world peace, secure employment, low property prices and good pensions. We were never tested.

Fixed the MBR as you suggested.

Your words are correct, just hope you are too.

BTW do you Know any good software to check and help improve my ssds for full performance? It irritates me that the drivers are microsoft from 2006 and I can't find any drivers on Asus or Intel.

Upgrading from HDD (my present WEI low score) to SSD is my next likely move, but I have no experience as yet in that area.
My current understanding is that W7 onwards handle SSD well, so leave them be.

Back