after formatting C: .......!@!@!@!>#$@???

:??
I was using WinXP in my C: drive and Win 7 in D: drive.

recently I have to format C: and reinstalled WinXP SP2 and lost my bootmenu. How can I use Win 7 without installing it again?

Last edited:

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Hi Sommzy, welcome to NST.
Boot your W7 DVD, select "repair your computer" then "startup repair"
Do the whole of the above line 3 times
You should now be able to boot W7 unassisted by the DVD.
If it doesn't create a dual-boot menu automatically, install EasyBCD 2.0 latest build in W7, and use add/remove entries to add an entry for XP. Let it auto-configure when it offers. Don't change the drive letter it uses.

Thanks Terry,
But my working OS is WinXP, not Win7. and after booting with my W7 DVD it dosen't show me "repair your computer" option. Can I do anything from WinXP?

Thanks again.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Assuming you can boot into Windows XP (can you? I'm not clear on that!)

Just install EasyBCD 2.0 in XP, add an XP entry from Add/Remove Entries, and "Reinstall 7 Bootloader" from the Manage Bootloader page.

Hi Computer Guru,
actually I formatted my C: drive and reinstall XP SP2 on it... after that I can not able to go on Win7 (which is previously installed on my d: drive).

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
It's just one simple question: Can you boot into XP? Are you able to get into Windows XP and use it?

If so, follow my instructions.

@ Computer Guru,
after formatting, I can boot into XP and it's works fine.

my problem is : I can't access my old Win7 which one is installed on D drive before format my PC's C drive. Before format my C drive, Win7 works fine for me.
Thanks again.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
OK, Like I said....

"Just install EasyBCD 2.0 in XP, add an XP entry from Add/Remove Entries, and "Reinstall 7 Bootloader" from the Manage Bootloader page."

Can you try that for me?

Thanks Computer Guru,

"I can try that for you!"

after trying your last said method, my PC unable to boot on both OS (XP & W7). There is a massage on bootup "A disk read error occured / Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

After that, I have to reformat my C: drive again. Working fine now with lot of Softwares. And my W7 is still not working.

What to do now?

Terry60

Staff member
Are these 2 systems on the same HDD or on 2 separate HDDs ?
Please post the Disk Management and display settings information as detailed at the end of the sticky thread

Terry60

Staff member
Make sure that your W7 HDD comes before the XP HDD in the BIOS boot sequence.