After re-imaging XP drive, computer won't dual boot into Vista

racher-b

Hey NeoSmart folks,

I had such great luck with EasyBCD initially, but now I'm having trouble. Here's my issue:

At first, I had only XP on my C: drive. I then added Vista to my H: drive and used EasyBCD 1.6 (from within Vista) to set up a dual boot. I was able to set this up without issue, and my OS selection screen appeared upon every boot.

Recently, however, I needed to re-image my C: drive (which had my XP installation) due to a software issue. The backup image for the XP install was created (using Acronis True Image) before I set this dual boot up. So after restoring the drive, I was no longer presented with the OS selection screen, and was automatically launched into XP.

I then installed EasyBCD (version 1.7) on XP in an attempt to restore the dual boot, but all attempts have failed. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Vista Bootloader, as well as recreating the Vista boot files and reseting the BCD storage. All boot attempts send me directly back to the XP installation with no dual boot options. Can someone indicate what I'm doing wrong? Below is my "Vista Bootloader" text as seen when in XP/EasyBCD:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 5 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista
Entry #1
Name: Windows Vista
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: H:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows
Entry #2
Name: Windows XP
BCD ID: {3625bbd0-7256-11dc-b128-00e081575126}
Drive: Active Boot Partition
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Also, here is my boot.ini on the XP install:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /fastdetect /3GB /NoExecute=OptIn

Any help will be most appreciated.

-Racher-B

Hi Racher, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Have you tried EasyBCD | Diagnostics | Reset BCD Data
?

Back