Another Vista-Windows 7-Ubuntu can't boot to Ubuntu

Yes, the latest Easy build (for sure) supports Intrepid. I myself have used it successfully with 8.10, though I must admit I always configure NeoGrub manually (though we have had many users on here though who have got the auto-config with checking the box to work with Intrepid). If you want to try that with Jaunty, open up EasyBCD, go to the NeoGrub tab in the Add/Remove Entries section, and click on "Configure". This will open up your NeoGrub menu.lst.

Now replace the contents that are in there with:
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

#This is a comment. Comments are prefixed with a '#'

default 0 #Pick the task to be run if the user doesn't pick one within the time limit.
timeout 10 #Give the user 10 seconds to choose a task.

#We use the "title" keyword to indicate a new entry in the menu.

title Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) #This is our first entry - it's number 0
root (hd1,0) #Load Ubuntu from the 2nd harddrive's 1st partition.
chainloader +1
boot

Let me know if it works.

Cheers.

Jake

Last edited:
Well, I get the Ubuntu 9.04 menu. But, It seems as if it is in some sort of loop. You select the hightlighted entry (Ubuntu) you hit enter, another screen flashes (very fast) I think it says "chainloader ()" and its back to the main menu.

I think we're close, or should I goto 8.10?

Ok, I'll try, be right back

Addendum:

Well, I get the same results

I have listed below the menu.lst from NeoGrub, I hope I understood your last direction.
=======================================
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

#This is a comment. Comments are prefixed with a '#'

default 0 #Pick the task to be run if the user doesn't pick one within the time limit.
timeout 10 #Give the user 10 seconds to choose a task.

#We use the "title" keyword to indicate a new entry in the menu.

title Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) #This is our first entry - it's number 0
root (hd1,0) #Load Ubuntu from the 2nd harddrive's 1st partition.
chainloader +1
boot

#End Ubuntu entry
===============================

what now?

Last edited:
Well, as mentioned previously, I wasn't sure if it would work or not with Jaunty, though it works fine with Intrepid. :wink: It seems that your only option at this point is to either let Grub take over the boot (i.e. install Grub to the MBR of Drive 0), or to use 8.10 version of Ubuntu instead...unless someone else has another idea.

Sorry you had this bad experience with EasyBCD, but as stated before, we don't make any claims that our software will work with every new beta release of Linux. As for me, I'm all out of ideas. Everything has been done right, as far as I can tell, so the only reason why it could be not working now is the developers of Ubuntu must have put something in Jaunty that was not in 8.10, therefore making it uncompatible with EasyBCD, and the Vista bootloader. I'm not saying its not possible in the future for Easy to work with Jaunty, but it seems it obviously doesn't work right now.

Jake

OK, thanks for all your help and support. I'll re-install 8.10 and from all you've given me previous in the post I should be able to troubleshoot without bothering ya'll

Thanks again,

Bill

I have reinstalled Ubuntu v8.10 this time.

My question concerns counting the partitions in Linux.

In /boot/grub/menu.lst
if I were going to replace UUID with root (hdx,y) (as you had suggested when we were trying to get Ubuntu 9.04 to work.)

Is the correct answer "root (hd1,5)" or "root (hd1,2)"

If you look at the "fdisk-l" it says the "Liunx" partition is "sdb5"
which make's it (according to the "device.map") "root (hd1,5)"

But EasyBCD show the "Linux" partition ad "Drive 1, Partition 2"

Can you help me understand which is correct to use in the "/boot/grub/menu.lst" for Ubuntu 8.10?
=============================
Ubuntu 8.10

sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x360a8e83

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 19462 156328416+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 19463 38914 156241350 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x808ca26a

/dev/sdb1 1 18875 151612413+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb2 18876 38913 160955235 5 Extended
/dev/sdb5 * 18876 38158 154890666 83 Linux
/dev/sdb6 38159 38913 6064506 82 Linux swap / Solaris

<device.map>
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb

EasyBCD > Add/Remove > Linux

<Device>
Drive 1
Partition 1 (NTFS -145GB) <THIS PARTITION IS JUST EMPTY SPACE not part of Linux>
Partition 2 (Linux - 148GB)
Partition 3 (Swap - 6GB)

EasyBCD > View Settings

There are a total of 3 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows Vista Ultimate
Timeout: 30 seconds.
Boot Drive: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows Vista Ultimate
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Windows 7 Ultimate
BCD ID: {a1e65204-c47e-11dc-8f20-001b2400ba27}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #3
Name: Ubuntu 8.10
BCD ID: {a1e65224-c47e-11dc-8f20-001b2400ba27}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\NeoGrub.mbr

I have reinstalled Ubuntu v8.10 this time.

My question concerns counting the partitions in Linux.

In /boot/grub/menu.lst
if I were going to replace UUID with root (hdx,y) (as you had suggested when we were trying to get Ubuntu 9.04 to work.)

Is the correct answer "root (hd1,5)" or "root (hd1,2)"
Neither. :wink: The correct one to use would be "root (hd1,4)". That is because Grub counts the logical partitions starting at 4 (regardless of how many primary partitions exist in the MBR partition table of that drive), and according to the fdisk output there are two logical partitions inside the extended (i.e. your Ubuntu root partition, and your swap partition). Since your Ubuntu root partition is the *first* logical within the extended (remember...counting starts at 4 for logical partitions), the partition number when using that kind of syntax would be 4, not 5.

Inteeeresting. >.< First time I've seen the beta version incorrectly number the partitions. You're still using Build 60, right?
Can you help me understand which is correct to use in the "/boot/grub/menu.lst" for Ubuntu 8.10?
Ubuntu 8.10

sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x360a8e83

/dev/sda1 * 1 19462 156328416+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 19463 38914 156241350 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x808ca26a

/dev/sdb1 1 18875 151612413+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb2 18876 38913 160955235 5 Extended
/dev/sdb5 * 18876 38158 154890666 83 Linux
/dev/sdb6 38159 38913 6064506 82 Linux swap / Solaris
As you can see from the fdisk output, your Linux root partition is the first logical partition, which makes it "root (hd1,4)". When you count using "sdxy" notation, the logical partitions are counted starting at 5 instead of 4, so that is why it it is shown as "sdb5", and not "sdb4". And actually, that makes complete and total sense, since you start the count for partitions at 1 instead of 0, like the other syntax uses. :smile: So using simple logic, the *first* slot in the MBR partition table of the second drive (in the BIOS drive order) is called "sdb1", the *second* called "sdb2", the *third* called "sdb3" and the *fourth* slot is called *sdb4". There can be four *primary* partitions per hard drive (with a normal setup), or 3 or less *primary*, and one extended.

<device.map>
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb
Your device.map is telling you that (hd0) is the same as "sda", and (hd1) is the same as "sdb". :wink: Perfectly normal. See, now if you happened to change it to something else, though...I imagine the drive numbers would probably reflect whatever your device.map says, meaning the "(hd0) = sda" philosphy might not always hold true in all circumstances, though it normally does. So FYI, don't change your device.map! :brows:

EasyBCD > Add/Remove > Linux

<Device>
Drive 1
Partition 1 (NTFS -145GB) <THIS PARTITION IS JUST EMPTY SPACE not part of Linux>
Partition 2 (Linux - 148GB)
Partition 3 (Swap - 6GB)
No, I believe it is showing the NTFS partition seen in the fdisk output, i.e. sda1. The reason why the Linux partition shows as "Partition 2" in EasyBCD is because it doesn't count the extended, just the logical. I believe that explains why its calling it Partition 2, while fdisk calls it partition 5. Remember, what I just explained for Linux and Grub doesn't hold true for Windows, and hence doens't hold true for EasyBCD either. The reason why EasyBCD is seeing it as "Partition 2" is because it is counting as one normally would, i.e. 2 follows 1, skip the extended because it is not actually a partition one uses to store stuff in (well, I guess in a sense, that is not entirely true, since it holds the logical partitions...but you know what I mean).

Jake

Last edited:
citation.gif

Inteeeresting. >.< First time I've seen the beta version incorrectly number the partitions. You're still using Build 60, right?
============================================================
Yes, I'm still using Build 60

Thanks for the Linux lesson, I greatly appreicate it. :smile:

Bill

Ubuntu 9.04 Problems with EasyBCD

I recently installed the official release of Ubuntu 9.04, but after using EasyBCD (I tested 1.7.2 and 2.0 beta), but it won't boot into Ubuntu. After selecting Linux from the Windows bootloader, the load stops and grub> shows up.

I recently installed the official release of Ubuntu 9.04, but after using EasyBCD (I tested 1.7.2 and 2.0 beta), but it won't boot into Ubuntu. After selecting Linux from the Windows bootloader, the load stops and grub> shows up.
Hello ar144. Welcome to NST.
Please verify that you have done all the "preliminary stuff", i.e. like install Grub to the bootsector of the Ubuntu partition (by using the Advanced option if installing Ubuntu from the CD, and typing a location like /dev/sda2, first hard drive, second partition), if installing to a drive other than drive 0 checking the box called "Grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector...". Also, please post your NeoGrub menu.lst (located at /NST/menu.lst on your Windows partition), as well as your Ubuntu one (if your NeoGrub menu.lst is using the "find" command) which will be located at /boot/grub/menu.lst on your Ubuntu partition. You also need to post the output of the following command run from EasyBCD's Power Console (on the "Useful Utilities" page):
Code:
bootpart
Also, did you install Ubuntu to a dedicated partition, or are you using Wubi?

I am dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu is on a dedicated partition on the same hard drive. I am not using wubi. The original installation installed grub at the default location, hd0. I reinstalled Ubuntu and installed grub on /dev/sda5, which is where my previous installation of Ubuntu was. I could not post the menu.lst file because it was an invalid file type. I could not find the /boot/grub folder, so I assume the problem is here somewhere. Here is the bootpart output:

C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin>bootpart
Boot Partition 2.60 for WinNT/2K/XP (c)1995-2005 G. Vollant (info@winimage.com)
WEB : Gilles Vollant software and BootPart
Add partition in the Windows NT/2000/XP Multi-boot loader
Run "bootpart /?" for more information

Physical number of disk 0 : 959a8769
0 : C: type=27 , size= 6127616 KB, Lba Pos=2048
1 : C:* type=7 (HPFS/NTFS), size= 100656596 KB, Lba Pos=12257280
2 : C: type=82 (Linux swap), size= 512000 KB, Lba Pos=213571584
3 : C: type=5 (Extended), size= 9920512 KB, Lba Pos=214597631
4 : C: type=83 (Linux native), size= 9920512 KB, Lba Pos=214597632

C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin>

I am dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu is on a dedicated partition on the same hard drive. I am not using wubi. The original installation installed grub at the default location, hd0. I reinstalled Ubuntu and installed grub on /dev/sda5, which is where my previous installation of Ubuntu was. I could not post the menu.lst file because it was an invalid file type. I could not find the /boot/grub folder, so I assume the problem is here somewhere.
You would need to boot from the LiveCD before you can access your Ubuntu partition, on which /boot/grub/menu.lst should be stored. If you can still not find it after that, then that indicates a serious problem, and means you did not install Grub to /dev/sda5, unless you happened to delete the directory later. :wink:
As for the NeoGrub menu.lst being an invalid file type, I meant to open it up, so you can view its contents, and then paste its contents into your next post. Trying to attach it as an attachment wont work, as you found out.
Here is the bootpart output:

C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin>bootpart
Boot Partition 2.60 for WinNT/2K/XP (c)1995-2005 G. Vollant (info@winimage.com)
WEB : Gilles Vollant software and BootPart
Add partition in the Windows NT/2000/XP Multi-boot loader
Run "bootpart /?" for more information

Physical number of disk 0 : 959a8769
0 : C: type=27 , size= 6127616 KB, Lba Pos=2048
1 : C:* type=7 (HPFS/NTFS), size= 100656596 KB, Lba Pos=12257280
2 : C: type=82 (Linux swap), size= 512000 KB, Lba Pos=213571584
3 : C: type=5 (Extended), size= 9920512 KB, Lba Pos=214597631
4 : C: type=83 (Linux native), size= 9920512 KB, Lba Pos=214597632

C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin>
Ok, so that confirms your Linux partition is /dev/sda5, so if you actually installed Grub to that partition, then it should work. What all did you try in EasyBCD? Since Ubuntu is installed to the same hard drive as Windows, then you should be able to use the standard Linux option in EasyBCD, without having to select the box "Grub isn't installed...". Just make sure to point it to the correct partition Ubuntu is installed to.

Last edited:
I fixed the problem. I was looking through EasyBCD again, and noticed that the Linux entry was not pointing to any partition, as you had mentioned in the previous post. I directed it to the Ubuntu partition, rebooted, and now it works fine. Thanks for the help.

Back