Another Vista/XP dual boot problem

Wow, that's a new one for the books.

Glad it's working though, that's for sure!

btw, you may have a copy of .NET on the Windows XP CD... it's usually in a folder on the root directory of the CD.

Thanks guys for your time & patience. XP is working but with some problems. My copy of XP is pre Service Pack 2. When I try to download updates I can only connect to the Microsoft website but can`t download anything. I have a copy of Service Pack 2 on disc but I can`t install that either.
I used to use Incredimail and most of my emails that I want are in that. I can`t run it or reinstall it There are a few other little problems like that.
Most of my stuff is now backed up so I think I`ll do a full format and reinstall a fresh copy of XP
Vista is working fine if I disconnect the Raid drives. Will a repaIr with the Vista disc fix the dual boot menu

If you repair Vista's boot after breaking it with an XP install, it should see XP there and do the dual boot for you automatically.
You'll still want to run EasyBCD to tidy it up though because it won't call the systems nice simple names like XP and Vista but something like "Previous Windows" or "Legacy Windows" (I can't quite remember exactly)

The next instalment of this sorry tale. I`ve decided to remove the Raid setup and install a fresh copy of XP to one of my ex raid drives. This I did without any problems. I reconnected my Vista drive and carried out a startup repair from the Vista disc. I did this 3 times. I can now with all drives connected only boot into Vista. I have managed to pause the startup screens at a bootup menu which only lists Vista.
If I disconnect the Vista drive the PC tries to start XP but fails at the "Windows did not start succesfully" choose Safe Mode, normally, etc, etc screen.
I changed the BIOS to allow for the fact that the Raid setup has gone.
What is going on, should I give up on XP and just stick with Vista. This is not funny anymore.

Since posting this I read the Easybcd help file which warns not to disconnect the Vista drive like I did so I reinstalled XP with the Vista drive and the boot order in the BIOS untouched.
After XP has installed the PC is supposed to boot into XP but mine goes straight into Vista and won`t boot into XP at all. I`m sure it`s something to do with the boot order in the Bios.
When I`m in Vista Windows XP files are on the XP drive, but not all of them. Ntdlr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini are not there, so I copied them from the disc and rebooted and the PC boots into XP and carries on installing. I suppose what has happened is XP has rebooted half way through the installation and according to the boot order in the Bios has rebooted straight into Vista. Does that sound plausible or am I barking up the wrong tree.
Whatever, I need a beer!!!

Addendum:

I now have a working copy of XP on my D: drive and a working copy of Vista on my J: drive. I have no idea how those letters were chosen.
I followed the instructions in the help for Easybcd for installing XP after Vista and eventually got XP running. I then ran Easybcd and followed the instructions for "Reinstalling the Vista bootloader", rebooted, didn`t get a menu so it booted straight into XP.
I can now only boot into VIsta if I change the boot sequence for HDD in the BIOS.
Originally it was:-
1) CH3 M ST3****** (This is one of the ex Raid drives)
2) CH4 M ST3****** (The second ex Raid drive)
3) Bootable Addin Device
4) CH2 Samsung S*****

This configuration boots into XP

If I move Bootable Addin Device to the top of the list then Vista boots

If I move CH2 Samsung to the top then nothing boots and I get "Invalid Partition Table". I am assuming that this is now the GAMES partition on the same HDD that Vista is on which at the moment is empty apart from some photos.

I`m not sure whether CH3 or CH4 is the XP drive.

It seems that Easybcd hasn`t "Reinstalled the Vista bootloader" as per the instructions in the Help file. Is there any way around this? Would performing a repair from the Vista DVD help or would trying "Write MBR" again with Easybcd be the answer.
If the only way I`m going to do this is to change the BIOS each time I want XP then so be it, surely I can only activate each copy of Windows so many times.

Time for a lie down in a darkened room.

Last edited:
If you don't understand the fulls ins and outs of the dual boot process, it's far simpler and much safer to let Vista fix the boot itself, as in post 20.

I have tried that, both, following the wiki and letting the Vista disc fix it, but it didn`t work for me. As a last resort would reinstalling Vista definitely cure it

I just tried the Vista disc method again and still no luck I am now getting a message saying that It can`t fix the problem, or words to that effect.
I`ve tried every combination of boot sequence, disabled/enabled Raid etc etc in the BIOS and still nothing.
I`ve decided to give up on this and enter the BIOS whenever I need to switch to XP, this is wasting too much of mine and especially your time.
Many thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

Addendum:

Ok I couldn`t resist one more look at this and I noticed something that might give somebody with a bit more knowledge than me a clue as to what`s happening
I changed the BIOS and booted into VIsta and ran Easybcd. On the settings page it said the following:-
"There is one entry in the Vista bootloader"
Windows Vista on Drive C:

I restarted and changed the Bios to boot into XP and ran Easybcd again. It then said in the settings menu:-
"There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista bootloader"
Entry#1 Windows Vista Drive J:
Entry#2 MS Windows XP Drive D:

If both Vista and XP appear in Easybcd when I boot XP can I change Entry #1 to read Drive C: instead of J: as when I boot into Vista, Vista is installed on Drive C:
Does this make sense? Or am I barking up the wrong tree again

Last edited:
You've obviously managed to get the Vista bootloader installed on both disks, and maybe you've been trying to repair the wrong one.
Anyway, try what you said about changing the Vista entry, you've nothing to lose.

No that had no effect either. I can still only switch between XP and Vista via the BIOS. I`ve gathered from here that the best way to run a dual boot system is to install Vista after XP. If that`s the case, because Vista is a fairly new installation and XP is up and running, would a format and fresh install of Vista fix the problem?

When you put the Vista disk first in the BIOS sequence, and it boots into Vista, have you added an entry for XP with EasyBCD ?
I ask because if you've got a working Vista and a working XP, there should be absolutely no need to reinstall anything, just get the dual boot working. That's what we do here all the time, so we must be able to sort this out for you.

Installing a newer system after an older is the MS preferred way of proceeding because systems are written to be backward compatible for dual booting, but it's not essential. I installed XP after Vista when I discovered all the things (hard and soft) that wouldn't work on Vista.
The only real difference is that you have one additional step (ie repairing the Vista boot after XP overwrites it) because XP is not capable of booting Vista.

Last edited:
I checked and there was no entry in Easybcd for XP so I added it. It can`t be that simple I thought, and I was right. Sure enough a boot menu now appears, I chose XP and the screen then just turns black and stays like that. I rebooted into Vista and I then got the usual message that Windows didn`t start properly, choose Normal, Safe Mode etc etc and Vista then started.
If it is relevant I have pasted my boot.ini file, this is how it appears in both the XP and Vista partitions.

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=60
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NoExecute=OptIn

I thought I would post my Easybcd settings page so I went and had a look at that and the entry for XP was showing as being on Drive C:, I couldn`t change this when added the XP entry and now I can so I changed it to H:, the XP partition thinking that would be it. Alas no I still get a black screen when I try to boot in to XP
Again, if its relevant this is the debug page

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {5cedeb4c-14f3-11dd-9f39-86a0bc66f532}
displayorder {5cedeb4c-14f3-11dd-9f39-86a0bc66f532}
{04def150-6d0a-11dd-9ba4-000c7647b646}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 30
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {5cedeb4c-14f3-11dd-9f39-86a0bc66f532}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {5cedeb4d-14f3-11dd-9f39-86a0bc66f532}
nx OptIn
Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {04def150-6d0a-11dd-9ba4-000c7647b646}
device partition=H:
path \NTLDR
description Microsoft Windows XP
And this is the settings page

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista
Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows
Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {04def150-6d0a-11dd-9ba4-000c7647b646}
Drive: H:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

I`m back to being totally confused by the whole process of dual booting

The XP entry should point to C: (you're telling it where to find the boot files, and they tell it where to find the system)
You're now in normal dual boot problem territory which is all described in the wiki. Pay special attention to the troubleshooter page where your problem is described.
You need to make sure all 3 XP boot files are in the C:\ root and that boot.ini points to the correct rdisk and partition to locate XP.

YES AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!. Excellent thanks it finally works. I get the second boot menu which is described in the wiki but I`m sure I never used to get that before it all went pear shaped.
Just one more question. What is the line:-

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

in the boot.ini referring to. I ask because that is the default option alongside Windows XP and if I forget to change it to XP, in the second menu, then I just get a black screen. Can this be removed or changed in some way.

Again many thanks for all your help and patience with this, I think I now fully understand how the dual boot process works. Your last statement:-

"The XP entry should point to C: (you're telling it where to find the boot files, and they tell it where to find the system)
You're now in normal dual boot problem territory which is all described in the wiki. Pay special attention to the troubleshooter page where your problem is described.
You need to make sure all 3 XP boot files are in the C:\ root and that boot.ini points to the correct rdisk and partition to locate XP. "

just made everything fall into place. Now if only I can understand networking lol

Great, sorry it took so long.
The default line should point to the same place as the XP entry lower down, then there will be only one option and the default will be taken without bothering you with a second menu. The default is there to allow unattended boot to your preferred system where there's a choice. In your case there's no choice (except that the duff default makes it appear that there is).
Just correct it and you'll only see the Vista menu in future.
When you figure out networking, come back and explain it to me !
I'm still trying to get an old W98 thinkpad to talk to my wideband router without success.

Terry, no apologies needed. It was all down to me being a bit thick and having that alledged male trait of not reading the instructions. You know, like when you but a new phone take it out of the box and start playing with it. When it doesn`t work as you expect it to, it leaves a dent in the wall where its just bounced off.
Anyway I`ll have a think about your Thinkpad problem............??????.................. no sorry can`t help, I only wish I could
Anyway thanks again, you`re a genius.

Edit:

Brilliant you`ve done it again, I don`t get the second menu now it goes straight into XP

Last edited:
Back