Anyone have any advice about: I thought I followed the online instructions, but still can't make a bootable HD. Am I missing a step or more?

gennifermadden

I got a BSOD on a Thursday so I just rebooted and it rebooted. Two days later, I got another BSOD and it would not boot. From my experience in computers, a BSOD is usually a hardware problem.

I took my computer somewhere and they determined that the HD was bad, or at least not booting.

I removed it and plugged it in to my laptop using an external SATA USB drive duplicator.

I ran CHKDSK ON THE USB HD with no errors. I got all the files copied over to my laptop and also uploaded them to Google Drive.

I also downloaded and ran EASEUS sector recovery software and it recovered at least one sector.

I have an internal SSD that I installed into my drive duplicator so I cloned the old HD to the new SSD seemingly successfully.

Going back to the original desktop, I used a recovery USB flash drive that I have for my Windows 7 on that computer. It tried to recover, but would not recover, at least it would still not boot.

Then I found your EasyBCD software and installed it on my laptop and plugged the USB drive duplicator back into the laptop and ran the BCD recovery/repair, then BCD deployment using "install BCD" then "write MBR."

I then put the original HD back into my desktop and it still won't boot.

I guess I have three partitions on the old HD - all "healthy" according to Microsoft. First is a recovery partition of about 4 gigs, then the storage partition of 107 gigs and a third partition of about 37 gigs. I had adjusted to old HD partition because my new SSD is only 120 gigs I I could clone it.

After I seemingly recovered the original HD, I thought the best thing to do would be to try and make it bootable again, but that is not working.

I did successfully get all the programs and files copied over to the new SSD and it won't boot either.

My logic is this: if I can recover the old HD and make it bootable, then I would be ready to make the new SSD bootable and everything, i.e., data and programs would all still be there.

I just want to get my desktop running again with the new SSD, but I want to double check it first with the original HD.

I have thought there might be something else wrong with the orginal HD, but am saving the new SSD with all the programs and data on it until I was hoping I could make the original HD bootable.

I hope I have provided adequate information.

Does someone please have some advice?

Thanks!

If you're repairing a broken boot with a W7 repair disc (or the installation DVD) or in your case a repair USB, you need to boot it and "startup repair" three times.
It has multiple thing to repair and only does one at a time. (no idea why!)
Try that first.
If still no-go, can you describe the precise nature of the failure to boot. (any messages)

Back