August

monochrome = one color.

But this one color is only assigned to parts of the screen that are labeled "on." The screen itself (the background) is set to "off" and is blank.

You have to forgive Ali CG, he's so young he'll never have seen the kind of technology Peter and I grew up with.
I bet he's never even seen a black and white TV, and might not believe that such a thing even existed.
I can still remember the 1st program I saw in colour (The High Chaparral) in a pub on Hayling Island in the late 1960s. It was an astonishing revelation to see it for the 1st time, though I knew how the technology worked (shadow mask CRT) as I was a Physics student in London University at the time.

Indeed Terry, some people have no idea. At school I had to learn to do all my mathematics in my head and at exam time we had nothing to crib from, no calculators to help.

I'm sure I showed this pic before but the thumbnail shows what we had at University to calculate with, if it was too complicated for our slide rules. (Still have mine).

I did mathematics, physics and geology at Imperial College. (Failed ;-( ).

Attachments

• Monroe6N-575-IMG_2438-5.jpg
    Monroe6N-575-IMG_2438-5.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
Snap ! Peter. I was at King's. I had places at Bristol, Birmingham, and a third I can't remember now, and I applied to King's, Imperial and UC in London. Imperial was my preferred choice but King's interviewed me and made an offer, and I was advised by staff at school that turning down one London college might make the others decline to even see me, so I accepted KC because I really wanted to be in "swinging London" above any other consideration. I was reading Maths and Physics in the 1st year of the "new" degree units, and I got 9/17 of a second in my first year, and did absolutely nothing in the 2nd year when I became indolent, uninterested and disillusioned with academia. I applied to BOAC and went to a weekend selection at Hamble where I was rejected for my colour vision which we've discussed before.
I left before the 3rd year and was rescued from a life of total idleness by IBM opening up a computer centre about a mile from my home. Luckily for me they saw some potential and hired me. I discovered upon starting that they obviously had a policy of recruiting University dropouts into the Operations department, it was packed with loads of us.

I did the BOAC thing too after feeling that I really should try to do something with my life...LOL They failed me in the final med test...eyesight just beyond the limit (which was well nigh perfect in those days).
I ended up as a lab assistant at Dunlop's in Birmingham, which didn't last long, then I became a civil servant in London, which lasted longer, then finally Air Canada, Heathrow....and thence to Canada.

well terry i have seen a black and white t.v. and know i know that they exist
mahmoud so would the screen be like the computer that was in the hatch in lost???
you know the one with the green font and "black" (off) background?

peter you have to have 20/20 vision to become a pilot rite?

well terry i have seen a black and white t.v. and know i know that they exist
mahmoud so would the screen be like the computer that was in the hatch in lost???
you know the one with the green font and "black" (off) background?

I still use every day my Sharp Organizer - green screen with dark green font.

peter you have to have 20/20 vision to become a pilot rite?

You used to have to have 20/20 vision, unaided, in those days but nowadays as long as you have 20/20 with correction (lenses etc) it's OK.

I guess it depends on what you are planning on flying... Terry would know exactly because he has one.

He does have a private flying license, or so I believe. He would know best what the eyesight requirements are.

79 Mount Vesuvius erupted, burying the Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum in volcanic ash. An estimated 20,000 people died.ted 20,000 people died.

1968 France became the world's fifth thermonuclear power as it exploded a hydrogen bomb in the South Pacific.

1949 The North Atlantic Treaty went into effect.

1932 Amelia Earhart became the first woman to fly nonstop across the United States, traveling from Los Angeles to Newark, N.J., in just over 19 hours.

[SIZE=+1]1847[/SIZE] Liberia was proclaimed an independent republic.

[SIZE=+1]1910[/SIZE] Mother Teresa was born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu in Skopje, Macedonia.

[SIZE=+1]1939[/SIZE] Major league baseball was televised for the first time when experimental station W2XBS broadcast a doubleheader between the visiting Cincinnati Reds and the Brooklyn Dodgers at Ebbets Field.

[SIZE=+1]1957[/SIZE] The Soviet Union announced that it had successfully tested an intercontinental ballistic missile.

[SIZE=+1]1961[/SIZE] The International Hockey Hall of Fame opened in Toronto.

[SIZE=+1]1964[/SIZE] President Lyndon B. Johnson was nominated for a term of office in his own right at the Democratic National Convention in Atlantic City, N.J.

[SIZE=+1]1974[/SIZE] Aviation pioneer Charles Lindbergh died at age 72.

[SIZE=+1]1978[/SIZE] Cardinal Albino Luciani of Venice was elected the 264th Pope of the Roman Catholic Church and took the name John Paul I.

[SIZE=+1]2003[/SIZE] Investigators concluded that NASA's overconfident management and inattention to safety doomed the space shuttle Columbia as much as damage to the craft did.

[SIZE=+1]1797[/SIZE] "Frankenstein" author Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley was born in London.

[SIZE=+1]1862[/SIZE] Union forces were defeated by the Confederates at the Second Battle of Bull Run in Manassas, Va.

[SIZE=+1]1893[/SIZE] Huey P. Long, the "Kingfish" of Louisiana politics, was born in Winn Parish, La.

[SIZE=+1]1905[/SIZE] Baseball Hall of Famer Ty Cobb made his major league debut with the Detroit Tigers.

[SIZE=+1]1918[/SIZE] Baseball Hall of Famer Ted Williams was born in San Diego.

[SIZE=+1]1941[/SIZE] Nazi forces began a siege of Leningrad during World War II that lasted nearly two and a half years.

[SIZE=+1]1945[/SIZE] Gen. Douglas MacArthur arrived in Japan and set up Allied occupation headquarters.

[SIZE=+1]1965[/SIZE] The album "Highway 61 Revisited" by Bob Dylan was released.

[SIZE=+1]1967[/SIZE] The Senate confirmed the appointment of Thurgood Marshall as the first African-American justice on the Supreme Court.

[SIZE=+1]1983[/SIZE] Guion S. Bluford Jr. became the first African-American astronaut to travel in space when he blasted off aboard the space shuttle Challenger.

[SIZE=+1]1989[/SIZE] A federal jury in New York found "hotel queen" Leona Helmsley guilty of income tax evasion but acquitted her of extortion.

[SIZE=+1]1990[/SIZE] President George H.W. Bush told a news conference that a "new world order" could emerge from the Persian Gulf crisis.

[SIZE=+1]1993[/SIZE] "The Late Show with David Letterman" premiered on CBS.

[SIZE=+1]1999[/SIZE] Residents of East Timor voted for independence from Indonesia in a U.N.-sponsored ballot.

[SIZE=+1]2005[/SIZE] A day after Hurricane Katrina hit, floodwaters covered 80 percent of New Orleans, looting continued to spread and rescuers in helicopters and boats picked up hundreds of stranded people.

Back