Auto Boot Encrypted Disk

I'm running a small backup server on Windows 7 Pro. I boot this machine from an USB Stick with EasyBCD 2.3. The Windows boot device is a SSD with self encrypting option. I the encrypting option is active, I have to enter a password before booting starts. Since my only interest in encrypting the SSD is in securing my data in case of a SSD return to factory for guaranty reasons, I'm looking for a possibility to automatically provide the password from the usb device after EasyBCD has started the process.

Is there any option EasyBCD can do that?
Any other solution?

I'm really confused now. I thought your disk was encrypted but you wanted EasyBCD to play nice with it?

Bitlocker is already designed to do what you say; the password is stored in a chip on the PC and automatically decrypted at boot time. Any solution where another program is entering it for you will not be as secure since the password must be stored in the disk itself.

Sorry if I did not make myself clear in the starting thread. Here is another try.

My server resides on an SSD which I want to encrypt either with Bitlocker or Truecrypt. After installing the OS on the SSD I transferred the boot code with EasyBCD to an USB Stick from which the system really boots. I use EasyBCD, because I can boot other OS's from the USB Stick. If I want to run the server, I would need to pass a password to the SSD in case the SSD is encrypted. I want EasyBCD to do this for me. The reason for encrypting the SSD is not a local security, but in case of a disk failure and returning the disk to service, I want to be sure, that nobody can read the data.

EasyBCD doesn't offer that form of encryption. Truecrypt can do what you want, but EasyBCD isn't able to communicate with it to supply it with the password - you'll unfortunately have to enter that manually.

EasyBCD doesn't offer that form of encryption. Truecrypt can do what you want, but EasyBCD isn't able to communicate with it to supply it with the password - you'll unfortunately have to enter that manually.

Thats what I wanted to be sure of. Thank you very much for your reply.

(Would that be an idea to think of for future enhancements?)

Back