BCD Backup Fails in Windows 10 on GPT Disk

tucker

I am trying to backup my BCD file in a Windows 10 system on a GPT formated drive. EasyBCD returns a message that access is denied. Is this one of the functions that MS has decided to not allow. I can manipulate and edit the BCD entries without a problem.

I also tried to use the /export sub-command in BCDEDIT, running as an administrator, but that is also refused with an access denied response.

What could be preventing me from backing up the BCD file?

Tucker

It works for me on a W7/10 GPT dual-boot (from W7, I never use W10).
What's it having trouble accessing ?
The BCD or the location of the backup ?

It works for me on a W7/10 GPT dual-boot (from W7, I never use W10).
What's it having trouble accessing ?
The BCD or the location of the backup ?
I am being denied access to the BCD in Win 10, both via the BCDEDIT /export command, as well as via EasyBCD. I am running BCDEDIT in an Administrator command prompt, and running EasyBCD with Admin privileges. I can however manipulate the BCD entries, reorder, add, delete, rename, etc. I only have two partitions on this laptop, both Win 10. No problem with defining the location of the exported/backed up BCD file.

I am being denied access to the BCD in Win 10, both via the BCDEDIT /export command, as well as via EasyBCD. I am running BCDEDIT in an Administrator command prompt, and running EasyBCD with Admin privileges. I can however manipulate the BCD entries, reorder, add, delete, rename, etc. I only have two partitions on this laptop, both Win 10. No problem with defining the location of the exported/backed up BCD file.
Problem resolved. I just upgraded my Windows 10 system, which caused the BCD file to be updated by the upgrade installation. Backup (and /export) is now working again. Must have had some corruption that was resolved by the install refresh.

Glad it resolved itself.
Incidentally, you never need to run EasyBCD as Admin.
It raises itself to achieve what it needs.

Back