BCD Error Single OS Vista Ultimate

kreston

Ive ran quite a few troubleshooting items and im at my wits end. Below is everything i tried to do and the resulting errors.

Was running updates on Friday came in on Monday and it wanted to reboot. I rebooted and then it went into a perpetual cycle of saying 3 of 3 installing at 0% and then rebooting over and over.

Put in the Vista Cd went to try a repair and it fails.
Now when i reboot i got the following error:
Windows Boot Manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardwware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1.insert windos cd and run a repair your computer option.
File: /boot/bcd
Info: an error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

So i insert the cd again, reboot, it loads and trys to finds installs of windows and i get this window to pop up:
System Recovery Options
Windows found problems with your computers startup options. Do you want to apply repairs and restart your computer? (I SAY YES) and i get an ERROR saying "Failed to save startup options"

Takes me to the advanced options where i try the startup and repair option, but it says that it cannot repair the computer automatically. details are as follows:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
Problem Signature03: 0
Problem Signature04: 65537
Problem Signature05: unknown
Problem Signature06: NoOsInstalled
Problem Signature07: 0
Problem Signature08: 1
Problem Signature09: FixPartitionTable
Problem Signature:10 15299
OS Versioin: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Went into the Command Prompt Options and tried to run the following with the last command that i try giving an erroras follows:
"bootrec /fixmbr" returns "The operation completed successfully."
"bootrec /fixboot" returns "The operation completed successfully"
"bootrec /rebuildbcd" returns "Total identified Windows installation: 1"
[1] c:\windows
add installation to boot list? i say yes
The requestted system device cannot be found.

Tried running the System Restore as well, but recieved the following: To perform an offline system restore you must specify which windows intallation you would like to restore....so i did that from command prompt
rstrui.exe /offline:c:\windows
i picked a point from early last week and it appeared to go through all the neccesary steps, and upon reboot im getting all the same errors!!

I can ChangeDirectory from the recovery Command Prompt to C:\windows and see all of my files... Help resolving this issue would be SO very much appreciated!

I ran your guys suggested fixes from this post: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

1 & 2: doesnt work as stated above.
bootrec.exe /fixmbr (works fine)

c: \boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force (Seems to work fine, i dont get any message to the contrary)

del c: \bootbcd (It asks me C:\*, Are you sure (Y/N)? i say yes and it returns with "Could Not Find c:\boot\bcd"

bootrec.exe /fixmbr (Works Fine)

c: \boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force (works fine)

del c: \boot\bcd (asks if im sure i say yes, seems to work fine)

bcdedit /createstore c:\boot\bcd.temp(works fine)

bcdedit.exe /store c:\boot\bcd.temp /create {bootmgr} /d "windows boot manager" (says the entry {bootmgr} was successfully created)

bcdedit.exe /import c: \boot\bcd.temp (the STORE import operation has failed. The requested system device cannot be found.)

I feel like ive done everything i know how to do. any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Kreston

Hi Kreston, welcome to NST.

At the very last step instead of "bcdedit.exe /import" just rename C:\boot\bcd.temp to c:\boot\bcd - does that work?

rename

I tried to first rename bcd.temp to bcd and then run the import command
bcdedit.exe /import c:\boot\bcd
but i get the same error.

The store import operation has failed.
The requested system device cannot be found.

I then started from the beginning with the fixmbr and instead of creating bcd.temp i just left it at bcd, that also returned the same errors?????

kreston

rename

Sorry about that, I did as you asked this time around and recieved the following error on the next step:

renamed bcd.temp to bcd

bcdedit.exe /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The requested system device cannot be found.

Kreston

It sounds like those updates corrupted the Windows Registry - have you tried the system restore option?

restore

Tried running the System Restore as well, but recieved the following: To perform an offline system restore you must specify which windows intallation you would like to restore....so i did that from command prompt

rstrui.exe /offline:c:\windows

i picked a point from early last week and it appeared to go through all the neccesary steps, and upon reboot im getting all the same errors!!

Kreston

Well, Microsoft has removed any method of a "repair install" so you're royally screwed here.

Connect your drive to another PC, backup your data, format and reinstall. Sorry!
>.<

I also ran into the same problem when trying to execute the import command. Tried to rename bcd.temp but that didn't work. However, everything got solved when I did the windows system partition active with the diskpart tool, which can be run from the command promt. I think the mess occurred when I installed GRUB on the windows system partition. Thank you for the very good guide.

Hi. As per introduction page, I am reactivating this thread. Everything that kreston has done, I have done. This is an almost exact replica of my experience.

I had my system working properly over a week ago when suddenly the UAC was disabled rendering me useless to run most programs along with fixing the time on my clock. Doin research suggested rebooting in safe mode and going into the registry to disable it. I did this with ease and disabled the UAC. Everything was peachy. As a safty precaution after that little scare, I decided to copy most of my important data should something happen again. I decided something triggered the malfunctioning UAC so I decided to investigate after the backup. I decided it would be best to try to repair the system if there was anything wrong with it not knowing all of the wonderful programs there are out there, guess its a good thing this happened. And here I am now. I even tried upgrading Vista to Windows 7 but that just like the repair failed to recognize the necissary drivers. The interesting part is that when I go into System Restore or Load Drivers, my HDD is recognized and I can explore it no problem. I submitted to joining this forum and calling my good friend for advise. He suggested the UBCD to test my HDD to make sure its not bad. This is the process that I am at now. Any more suggestions?

Vista Boot help!!!!

Ok. I guess no one has replied to the last post I made a couple weeks ago. Since then I have tested my HDD with UBCD and it came back fine, no errors. When I ran the UBCD, a message came up saying that the BIOS was badly broken. So I flashed my bios with the latest version to try to fix that problem. Still no luck. So that leads me to believe it is all in the bootloader that is messed up. The BIOS recognizes my HDD, I can run diagnostic tests on the HDD, but when I try to fix the MBR and such, it wont recognize the HDD. It doesnt even recognize it in the recovery cd that is suggested for Vista. I am about to wipe it out if no one can give me ny other help. Thx in advance.

Sorry Palindrome, you've not been ignored, but like the starter of the thread found, we didn't have any solution then.
Sometimes there's no way round a reinstall.
If you've exhausted all of the possibilities

Safe Mode system restore
startup repair
recovery console system restore
recovery console chkdsk /f then startup repair again

and nothing can get you running, it's time to get live Linux download, use it to rescue your user data from the HDD and reinstall the OS.

The problem is not your bootrec, it's your partition.

The Error: "The requested system device cannot be found." means that the active partition can not be found. The active partition being the one the bootrec exists on.

So you need to reset your active partition.

From cmd prompt:

DISKPART
LIST disk
SELECT disk #
LIST partition
SELECT partition #
ACTIVE (<< Marks the partition as active)
EXIT (Exits DISKPART)

After you do this you will probably need to repair or rebuild your bcd or even recreate it and assign your BOOTMGR, but try boot first before you mess around with it.

Obrigado amigão(thanks brow, thats was really helpfully

this happened to me too, when a plug out my PC, and than i turn in on again, his entering on auto repair system...
But when i did that, TADAAAA, its works, at least i think...

Thx for all....
The problem is not your bootrec, it's your partition.

The Error: "The requested system device cannot be found." means that the active partition can not be found. The active partition being the one the bootrec exists on.

So you need to reset your active partition.

From cmd prompt:

DISKPART
LIST disk
SELECT disk #
LIST partition
SELECT partition #
ACTIVE (<< Marks the partition as active)
EXIT (Exits DISKPART)

After you do this you will probably need to repair or rebuild your bcd or even recreate it and assign your BOOTMGR, but try boot first before you mess around with it.

Back