BCD is missing. No repair cd.

danny_563

Hi

I have an Advent 4211 running Windows XP.

Yesterday, I turned it on but it wouldn't boot up because the BCD was missing or corrupted. I managed to run 'TechGuys Recovery' (it's an application which holds Windows files and helps to easily repair or reinstall the operating system. Even if you have forgotten your password or something)

I selected 'start up repair' hoping it would repair the BCD file, but for some reason it did not. The netbook was restarted and since then I have not even been able to start the tech guys recovery. Straight away I get the error of the BCD file being missing or corrupted.

I then thought this may be an opportunity to install a new OS. So I downloaded Chrome OS and wrote that onto a bootable USB drive. Tried booting from the drive but I still got the same error of the BCD file being missing.

What should I do? I still have files on here that I don't really want to lose. But if worst comes to worst I am prepared to lose them. I can't get hold of a Windows CD, the netbook doesn't have a cd drive anyway.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks for the fast response.

I did have the USb option before the HDD so that definintly is not the problem. Does anyone have any guides to making a bootable usb? I'll try that again

Back