BCD issues. W7 & U9.10

Scott_MacAdam

hey everyone,

I had ubuntu 9.10 and i just installed windows 7. now, in attempts to set up the boot loader i turned to Easy BCD 2.0 beta.

I set it up with windows 7 (default) and ubuntu 9.10 (grub2) and it won't let me select the proper partition. the only option on the drop down is c:\ and I'm pretty sure this is not the correct one.

When I select Grub2 (switching from grub legacy) the option to select device (my linux partition) goes away (fades put) as does the option "GRUB isn't installed to MBR/bootsector.

this is my "View Settings" tab

"There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.
Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds.
Boot Drive: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Ubuntu 9.10
BCD ID: {e6589140-e5f9-11de-a016-9886b960c624}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr"

As it stands now, windows will boot but when I select Ubuntu i get a black screen with:

Try boot (HD0,0):

at the top.

Any idea how I can fix this.... even if I have to do it myself and edit the boot.ini or something.... Sorry, I'm new to this....

Thanks for the Help!

~Scott MacAdam

Hi Scott, welcome to NST.
U9.10 uses grub2, so select that.
EasyBCD doesn't need to know anything else (that's why it all "greys")

Yes, I had the same greying out with GRUB 2 and so I just assumed it wouldn't work. However, it does!

Maybe the greyed out box should contain a message such as GRUB 2 will find the partition automatically at boot.

Andy

Do you have a hidden 100 MB (or other sized) "system" partition (look in Disk Management). If so, give it a drive letter, and delete and re-add the Ubuntu entry.

Back