big mess - HELP NEEDED ; (

schlanske

hey fellow users, i have a dualboot system with XP und WIN7 on one single partitioned HD during XP usage i have hidden the WIN7 partition und same vice versa. now i installed BCD and just renamed the xp entry. and suddenly my xp wont start anymore. is there a chance to make this undone? does uninstall bcd help solving my problem? how do i point the loader to the right partition thats hidden in DOS ? -------------------------------------------------------- There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader. Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds. Default OS: Windows XP Entry #1 Name: Windows XP BCD ID: {ntldr} Drive: C:\ Bootloader Path: \ntldr Entry #2 Name: Windows 7 BCD ID: {current} Drive: C:\ Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe Windows Directory: \Windows ----------------------------------------------------

How did you hide W7 from XP, and why did you hide XP from W7 ?
Post a screenshot of your Disk Management and the contents of the "view settings" (detailed mode) from EasyBCD 2.0 latest build.
Details of how to attach screenshots can be found at the end of the sticky thread.

i did not assign a drive letter to the drive i wanted to hide.
disks.jpg
detailed.jpg

Use the Link I gave you to get the latest EasyBCD.
1.7 is older than W7 and does not support it, and contains none of the XP automation built into the later release.
Give your partitions letters.
If you can't boot XP, delete the XP entry from the BCD and add a new one with Easy2. Accept its offer to auto-configure.
In XP apply this registry hack to protect W7 restore points from corruption by XP.
You've no need to hide XP from W7

Last edited:
ok, it worked like a charm ... although the WIN7 partition is still not assigned to a letter under XP ... should i still import the reg-file to prevent deletion of restore points in WIN7 ??? i assigned X as drive letter for XP in WIN7. what would happen, if i try to hide the XP partition again in WIN7? thanks again for your quick response ! im in the middle of my diploma - so you can imagine whta this means ; )

should i still import the reg-file to prevent deletion of restore points in WIN7 ???

It helps to read:

You've no need to hide XP from W7

To add on to this W7s newer, it knows about XP. Its XP not knowing about how W7 stores restore points that creates a problem for W7. Can you still do this anyway? If you want to, no benefit to gain though.

Oh, and please separate your images in the future, it really doesn't make reading for us IE users all that fun.

i am sorry for all the IE users ; )
but i still don't assign any drive letters to a second OS when i am working on the first one and vice versa.
i don't wanna see a OS partition, thats not in use - its a matter of taste.
and for the record - i've read that there is no need to hide XP partition unter W7.

but that does not answer my question ...
the reg file is for XP users that assigned D:\ for the partition of W7
and because i do not assign a letter my question was:

is there any need that i should do so despite my XP does not have the W7 listed ?!

a simple YES or NO would do the trick for me .........

The registry hack could only be used if the partition was assigned a drive letter. It makes it "offline" to Windows, which means you can access the drive in my computer, but to Windows nothing on there is accessible.

Back