Black screen after Install

ekonns

Being new to this site, I didn’t know how to create a new thread; therefore I am sorry that I posted my question on this thread.

I did a new Windows 7 installation on my Acer Aspire 5315(originally had Vista Home Basic) , the installation and the registration went smoothly, except when the system restarted itself after finishing the registration, it didn’t boot to the OS, all what I get is a flashing cursor at the top left side of a black screen. Please help, any idea on how to fix this issue is highly appreciated!
I tried Windows7 repair discs but it didnt work, i got "No windows installatiion detected", then I conducted System Restore to the date prior to installing Win7 and nothing changed!!

Hi ekonns, welcome to NST.
Firstly, the F.A.Q. button in the title bar and sticky threads in 2 forums contain instructions for starting threads.
Have you installed to a new HDD ?
If so, have you changed the BIOS to boot from the new HDD before the old one ?

Hi Terry and Thanks for the response.
No I didnt install a new Hard Drive, all what I did that I tried to get away from Vist by upgrading to Win7!

OK. Are you saying that W7 installed completely (with multiple reboots) and then stopped working, or that you started the install, and then it failed at the first reboot during the install process.
In the latter case, it would indicate that you don't have your BIOS boot sequence set to boot from CD/DVD before HDD. In this case, at the first reboot, instead of returning to the DVD to continue the install, the BIOS will try to boot from the HDD, which is not yet functional.

I started the install, and then it failed at the first reboot during the install process. I tried all option available in the BIOS menu w/out luck!
I am not sure if the WIn7 CD/DVD i have is capable of booting, I did the new installation when I had Vista, otherwords within an OS, but now i dont have one, may be I need a different software or may make the CD?DVD I have to be able to boot!

Try booting it on another PC.
If it's a MS W7 DVD, it's definitely bootable.
The BIOS menu you need will probably be called boot (at the top of the screen), and is probably a tree structure menu. Top level - boot order of device types CD/USB/HDD etc, lower levels - which optical drive first if you have two, which HDD first etc. You need to ensure that optical drives come before HDD in the top level.

It did not boot. May be because it's not a genuine copy. I have just tried to install windows xp and I got the following:
setup did find any hard disk drives installed in your computer??
Thx
Naser

Adendum
after doing a little chNge in the Bios menu I actuLlywas able to start the xp installations. Butnot the win7!

Last edited:
Ok, you got XP on there too? According to your original post you said you were just upgrading Vista to W7. Do as Terry says and try to get the computer to boot from W7 DVD. If its set to boot from disc and doesn't you could also try installing EasyBCD in Windows XP and use the re-install Vista bootloader option on the bootloader management page and add entries for XP/W7 if they're missing.

Adendum
after doing a little chNge in the Bios menu I actuLlywas able to start the xp installations. Butnot the win7!
Also, if its a problem with SATA/AHCI or anything similar, you can undo the changes in the BIOS, and I bet W7 will boot again (but probably not XP, until you install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager there).

Back