Black screen when booting ubuntu. Windows 10 and Ubuntu 14.04.3 setup

get703

Hello, everyone.

I'm having some problems with setting up a dual boot with Windows 10 and Ubuntu 14.04.3.
I have Installed Windows 10 on one SSD and Ubuntu 14.04.3 on another. When installing Ubuntu, I made three partitions: ext4 with 30GB for root, SWAP with 8GB and about 21GB for /home. Windows 10 was allready installed on a separate SSD.

During Installation of ubuntu, I recieved an error saying some updates where not installed. I booted Ubuntu manually, and updated using "sudo apt-get update" and then "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade".

I added a new entry in EasyBCD in the Linux/BSD tab, with the following settings:
- Type: GRUB(Legacy)
- Name: Ubuntu 14.04.3
- Drive: Tried both checking the "Use EasyBCD's copy of GRUB", and manually chosing the root partition for Ubuntu.

When using the "Automatically detect and load"-option, I chose to boot to the new entry I created, and was told it could not find the file(don't remeber the exact error message. I can recreate the error and provide more details if necessary).
When manually chosing the root partition upon creating a new entry, it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top right corner of the screen, when chosing to boot the new entry.

Any help and suggestions on how to fix this would be much appriciated. If you require more information I will be happy to provide it.

PS: I can boot to Ubuntu with no problems through BIOS. Windows 10 still works fine also when chosing that option in the boot menu. I have disabled both secure boot and fast boot in BIOS.

Last edited:
I think I might have fixed it! Changed the setting from GRUB(Legacy) to GRUB2 and now it boots. I get some kind of message saying something about a probe failing before it loads, but it seems to work for now.

Back