Blue screen even after restore disk

The problem originated from my own ignorance. I went to install a new graphics card on my desktop. (I am running with vista x64) At first glance not seeing an old graphics card in there I installed my graphics card and attempted to boot up my computer. The problem is there is an integrated graphics card on my motherboard and without me disabling that first I created driver conflicts and hence the blue screen.
I have done what seems like everything, I have try to reboot in safe mode, in safe mode with command prompt. I have tried to boot with my vista recovery cd and then I have also tried to download the recovery disk from the NeoSmart site using ImgBurn and torrents, still nothing. What happenes when I boot with either of these cd's is my computer does at least recognize it and begins to boot from them, it does not however bring me to a language screen or anything of that sort, what I do get is a "Loading Files" prompt which shows that it is loading, once it "loads" and completes itself it kicks back up to the boot screen and then kicks back out once again to the blue screen.
Please help!
Michelle

Last edited:
Hi Michelle, welcome to NST.
Have you been into the BIOS and set the onboard graphics to "disabled" ?

I think I have, but I will explain what I actually have done in BIOS. I have tried different things since I dont find anywhere where it has plainly said graphics. If I go into advanced BIOS features the only thing I disabled there was the external cache, only because it was one of the blue screen ideas for repair, however that didnt work and I went back and enabled it to reset my original features. everything else under that is mainly boot priority and the related, so I go out into the main menue again and to advance chipset features, in there the only thing I find that relates would be the PCI spread spectrum, it has a Traingular down option (which it is set to) and a disable option, I diabled this but still get a blue screen after booting normally and booting with the recovery cd provided by this site. going into Integrated peripherals and then into Onboard devices I am now disabling what says onboard 1394 that however still gives me the blue screen both with normal boot and then again with the recovery cd, I disabled the onboard chipset still only a blue screen after everything, I dont worry about onboard Lan, or Audio, keyboard, mouse or Lan Boot Rom so I back out skip over power management as that really has nothing to do with it, and go into so going into PnP/ PCI configurations I changed the IRQ Resourses from PCI to reserved, all that did was make everything respond very slowly only to eventually give me the blue screen, i have disabled and enabled PCI palette snoop, nothing once again I changed the PCI from (and tried to boot in every option) PCI Slot to Onboard, to PCI express no change. So now I am out of options and ideas once again, I have tried both options Load fail-safe defaults (nothing) and Load Optimized defaults, nothing. So that is what I have tried to do, and all has failed. I am not sure if I may need to try a combination but so far nothing has worked. What is most frusterating is it was a simple task that I messed up on, and it wasnt a major thing like installing a new hard drive it seems like it should be a quick click somewhere and things would be fixed but no such thing. Oh yes, I have also tried restoring to an earlier date when last known to work properly, but that didnt prevail either. I am sure I am making this more difficult than it really is but I am grateful and tahnkful for your help thus far.

Ok, are you getting this blue screen only after the modications you made in the BIOS or before? If after, you should go ahead and reset the BIOS to default settings. You'll need to reset the date and time but leave the other settings alone.

Have you tried booting with the new graphics card removed, to see if you can get back to stability, then try again from scratch.

I have tried resetting my default settings on BIOS, no good, and yes actually I have to have the new graphics card removed. I actually tried to replace it but I only get a black screen. Troubleshooting guide is what said it was caused by a driver conflict, this is where I was also told to disable my onboard graphics card, that advice should be in the beginning but who am I. So yes in order to ge any response period I must have my new graphics card removed and everything I have done thus far has been with the new graphics card removed.
Also, on another note, because my computer sticker says AMD 64 I had assumed I was running x64, at a quick glance earlier I noticed my laptop said AMD 64, believing that I had a 32 bit I double checked my laptop and it said I was indeed running 32 bit, so all excited thinking I must have been running the wrong repair disk I excitedly burnt the 32 bit went through everything I had done above and my excitement was quickly shattered, still nothing and I get the same result and responses no matter which recovery disk I use.

Can you download a live copy of Linux, burn it to CD and boot it in "Try without changing your PC" mode.
That should verify that the BIOS is OK.
Windows disks will often fail to boot (full retail DVDs or our recovery CD subset) when the OS on the HDD is compromised. (not a very useful characteristic, but sadly true).
Linux isn't bothered by the state of the OS on the HDD so should boot if the hardware is OK.

If you think the BIOS might be in a bit of a mess, you could try a hard reset, by powering the PC down (leave the cord attached to the socket to keep the chasis earthed, but switch off the power), touch the chassis to discharge any static from yourself, remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard, move the CMOS reset jumper (near the battery) to the pins at the other end for 10 seconds, put the jumper back where you found it and replace the battery.
Everything in the BIOS should then be back to default defaults (including date and time which will need to be reinitialised).
If the problem is truly a driver conflict in Windows, then "safe" mode should get you around it and allow you to roll back the corrupted driver, but you've already said that failed too ?

well I thought we were on to something, I did download the Linux, the computer recognizes it and begins to boot via cd, I get to the language screen, select English select try without any changes to pc mode, it goes through a series of things, I see an Unbuntu screen, then I get a screen with what appears to maybe be a lug nut or maybe a circle of people, regardless of what the picture is suppose to be it remained there for several minutes (about 15) and there didnt seem to be much going on as far as sound from the computer. Right now I am checking the disk for defects and I have a screen that says checking integrity, this may take a while. I am not sure if I was extreme;y impatient and cut the computer off before it had an opportunity to get the job done, ok the disk defect says it found 8 errors and to click any button to reboot, which I have done and it is now rebooting and I have gone through the same process again. I cant seem to get past that screen, how long should I wait?

Also I do not believe the BIOS to be too bad, I reset everything I originally changed to the settings I had started out with. However i will attempt to remove the CMOS battery as described above.

Last edited:
Does that integrity check also say "hit 'esc' to skip".
Try "esc" ing and see if you get to the Ubuntu desktop Ok.
If you do, then the hardware and the BIOS would seem to be OK, and we're looking to fix whatever's got screwed on your OS HDD.
If you do get to the Linux desktop, why not take the opportunity to try rescuing your user data to external storage, just in case the Vista is so comprehensively broken, that you eventually need to reinstall.

it says esc to reboot, as I stated it boots up I get to the ubuntu screen, it doesnt seem like it is doing anything when I choose to install without making any changes to computer, however I am not sure the length of the process and maybe I am not allowing enough time

well I installed the ubuntu disk on my laptop with no problems, however I cant get my desktop to do much of anything. I don't understand how I could have corrupted my os system though if all I did was attempt to install a graphics card. From my understanding the two cards were merely fighting for the right to be the working system, so that is what caused the blue screen. So how would my hdd be effected? However, I can not get a response from my computer at this point. I get to the ubunto screen, and I have tried to install without any changes made to my pc, but nothing ends up happening, it just runs and runs and I dont get an end result. So now my question is, if I purchase say Windows 7 to install in my computer will that work? I am not concerned about saving files, i save everything to an external hard drive so anything on the main computer isnt anything I dont already have backed up. All I want is to see a windows screen again. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions please let me know. Thank you ~ Mickie

If you have your recovery environment safely on bootable media, and you're not worried about losing data on the HDD, try a free bootable partition manager like gparted or this or this (you can find several with a web search), and format your HDD, then boot the recovery disk and reset the PC.

Back