\Boot\BCD error using Windows Vista 32-bit

iffstarz

Hi everyone,

This post is directed at Mohammad-al-Qudsi (but if anyone knows how to solve my issue - please jump in!!) as I had followed his step-by-step procedure (see link below) to try and boot Windows Vista (32-bit) on my HP Pavillion s3580a desktop PC without success.

Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

These steps below refer the link above

Steps I had taken:
1. Burnt a copy of Vista Recovery Disc as an ISO image via ImgBurn on to a CD
2. Inserted the CD and finally got to the 'StartUp Repair' dialog box after having constant stalls at the Press Any Key to Boot from CD or DVD.... stage (overcome by repeatedly pressing Del to get into boot setup)
3. Selected Start-Up Repair which did a very quick scan and didn't detect any faults regarding start-up - It did suggest I remove any portable device such as a camera or an mp3 player (nothing additional was attached). Re-booted my PC without CD and it wouldn't load
4. Retried Step 3 several times as the guide suggested but to no avail - startup repair error log indicated that all the cpu initialisation checks passed and insisted nothing was wrong
5. I assumed the computer 'claimed to have fixed the problem' and went on to Step 3 of the guide 'Manually Repairing the Vista Bootloader' - which may have been an error in hindsight
6. Downloaded bootsect.exe from rapidshare and copied that on to an external HP hard-drive
7. Followed the command prompt instructions replacing x: with K: for my external hard-drive
8. After typing k:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force executed a series of scripts indicating this part was successfully configured. I had trouble with the backslash in-between due to the US/UK keyboard issue so these two instructions weren't executed consecutively til I finally got the backslash working.
9. Executed the del instruction and the first few parameters were successfully configured but the last 3 or 4 came up with invalid parameter errors
10. Decided to proceed anyway with the rebuild instruction and dos responded with the parameters are successfully configured and a little description on what each instruction does (rebuildbcd, fixbcd etc.)
11. Restarted my PC and I may have messed up the boot-load up on cmd prompt as I had get the following error

File: \Boot\BCD

An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

It can't get past this screen as I don't have the Windows Installation disc

My apologies for the long-winded post
but I wanted to make it as detailed as possible.
CAN ANYONE HELP?

Back