BOOT BCD Error

pkyee

My brother's ASUS G51 encountered this error recently:

File: \Boot\Bcd
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

I've tried different methods including the ones on the MS site and this one as well as using the recovery disc from this site to attempt a repair. Since I do not have a Vista install disc there were some methods I could not try. I tried putting the bootsect.exe on a USB, but the laptop doesn't seem to detect it so I am unable to do that during command prompt. Are there any other methods out there, I don't want to do a clean install right away as there are a few files that he doesn't want to lose. If there is a way to recover his files that would be fine too, thanks!

You can put bootsect.exe on a cd - boot the recovery disc to command prompt - take out the recovery cd - put in the one containing bootsect.exe

Type

Diskpart

lis vol

( note the drive letter for the o/s and the dvddrive)

exi.

( to leave Diskpart)

Now type

dvddriveletter:\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /mbr

then press enter.

Better to use this one:

View attachment VISTASP2x86bootsect.zip

You can put bootsect.exe on a cd - boot the recovery disc to command prompt - take out the recovery cd - put in the one containing bootsect.exe

Type

Diskpart

lis vol

( note the drive letter for the o/s and the dvddrive)

exi.

( to leave Diskpart)

Now type

dvddriveletter:\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /mbr

then press enter.

Better to use this one:

View attachment 1060
SIW2 check out www.howtogeek.com how to section there is a link to get a boot cd at nerosmart.com

kc6qdi

Hi,

Thanks.

This is the Neosmart site we are on now.

The OP already has the Neosmart recovery disc.

I've tried different methods including the ones on the MS site and this one as well as using the recovery disc from this site to attempt a repair.
It does not contain bootsect.exe.

Last edited:
If EasyBCD's on the machine you can find it in c:\program files\neosmart technologies\easybcd\bin.

Back