\boot\bcd error

foshoquz

Hi,

I wouldn't normally post my problems in a forum because the answer is usually somewhere on the internet. I'm not saying it ain't now, but I'm getting pretty desperate, so here it goes.....

When booting my computer I get the \boot\bcd (0xc000000f) error and I can't get into windows. There is a little history prior to this, I don't know if it'll help but I might as well put it out there. The last time was in windows, I suddenly couldn't open any software (music player, games, word/excel etc.). I could however get into my internet browser and I was able to browse through my folders. When trying to reboot I got the error.

I have the original recovery cd and tried the repair options which didn't work. It's just commands prompt working so I tried the neosmart guide "Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD" The first two commands (bootrec.exe /fixmbr and x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt 60 all /force) work. The "del c:\boot\bcd" however doesn't. It says the file/directory is damaged or unreadable. I tried to continue with the next step (bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd). It does find the windows installation and asks me if I want to add it to the list, but when agreeing it comes up with the same (file/directory is damaged or unreadable) error.

The nuclear holocaust step requires the same del c:\boot\bcd commands so that is not working either, as before I did go on the next step nonetheless, but it did not work. I do know that the drive is not completely destroyed because I burned a linux OS on a cd and I can see most (my desktop files seem to be missing) of my files.

How can I fix this?

Sounds like a corrupt filesystem to me.

Try running chkdsk /f c: at the cmd prompt in the recovery console.

The chkdsk command was actually one of the first things I tried but it couldn't fix anything then because some file was missing or damaged. I ran the command again just now and this time it did continue and it said the filesystem was recovered.

Unfortunately I still can't get into windows because now I get the 0xc0000098 error. I've seen 2 file names mentioned. First the 'windows\system32\hal.dll' and after that the 'PCIIdex.sys' file. I now can choose wether I want to boot in safe mode / last known working configuration but none are working. The boot-recovery on the vista cd now "works" and says it's completed but I still get the PCIIdex.sys error.

I assumed you're still talking about the wiki on repairing the boot loader (you were, right?) so I just completed the nuclear holocaust step. The del c:\boot\bcd command didn't work (figured it was already deleted or something) but the others worked. The problem however is not solved.

I get the same 0xc0000098 error. File: PCIIdex.sys. A file is missing etc.

That's not a file to do with the bootloader, but it's a critical Windows file. Sounds like your trashed your Windows install pretty good!

I'd try System Restore from the recovery CD, and if that fails, back everything up and reinstall. Windows Vista and Windows 7 do not have a repair install feature you can use in times like this.

Alright, formatted my harddrive and reïnstalled Vista. It wasn't a bad thing in the end, my pc was getting a little slow anyway.

Thanks for your time and help!

The thread is 10 years old, over which times and settings change - I would try using a Google Search of your problem.

Back