Boot Chain error

Hi I have installed Vista first for a few months now and decided to try os10,I am using bcd 1.7 and it shows in the menu at bootup but when I select osx I get a boot chain error , the chain0 is on the C:/ drive the osx is on a drive 2 partition 3 which are active and primary.

Any help pls.

TRhks

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Hi locustcounter, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.
Have you tried the HFS+ Partition Fixer utility in the Diagnostics page?

Hi , I have tried that but it does not seem to do anything ,maybe I have some of my settings wrong I don't know.

Thks

Addendum:

Anyone ?
I'm soo close!

Last edited:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Delete that OS X entry, and try creating a NeoGrub entry w/ this config file instead:

Code:
rootnoverify (hdx,y)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot
Just replace x with the OS X drive and y with the partition number.

Probably it'll be (hd1,2)

I'll try that and get back

Thks

Addendum:

Ok so now it brings me to a grub> command ,I'm lost about what to do ,sorry i'm a newb when it comes to this

THks

Last edited:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
That means you used the wrong numbers. Try again.

ok so now I get to boot menu hit neogrub than a bunch of commands come up quick and it goes back to boot menu.

Anyone?
THks

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 4 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)

Entry #1

Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: NeoGrub Bootloader
BCD ID: {43fc278d-7c3e-11dc-a3d1-efcb84d769ab}
Drive: F:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\NeoGrub.mbr

Now here is the debug info, I am using 2 hard drives plus one usb external drive
That would make the setting hd2,3 meaning hard drive number 2 (0,1,2-usb drive) and 3 is the third partition on that drive.Am i right on this?

Also that partition i installed osx on is not lettered, when i do letter it it goes blank after in bcd or back to boot in bcd.
Also why is F my boot for the neogrub.

Thks
Pls be patient i'll get through this.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
NeoGrub is installed to the boot drive. In your case, it's F.

If you're seeing text flash and then back at the boot menu - well, it means you're still not using the right numbers.

The partition and drive count start at 0. So the first partition of the first drive is (hd0,0).

Ok but the boot drive is C for vista?

Addendum:

Ok so I have tried every which way for x and y and it still keeps coming up to boot menu
Acronis is saying drive 3 ,windows is saying drive 2 and as for the partition well it is the 3rd partition on that usb drive but it has no letter it has 0xaf (shagos swap).

clueless?

Anyone thks

Last edited:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
0xAF is correct.

Anyway, this sounds like a bug in the method you used to install OS X. There are plenty of such examples here in the forums and across the web - you'll have to find a "better" way of doing it.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
I'm sorry, but though it is quite simple and to-the-point, we cannot offer any help whatsoever with regards to getting OS X installed properly to a generic PC.

Delete that OS X entry, and try creating a NeoGrub entry w/ this config file instead:

Code:
rootnoverify (hdx,y)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot
Just replace x with the OS X drive and y with the partition number.

Probably it'll be (hd1,2)

ok i am sorry for my denseness , i have BCD 1.7.2 where do I got to add the entry?

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Hello,

Open EasyBCD. On the left side the 3rd entry on the left side is to add a entry to the BCD.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

Open EasyBCD. On the left side the 3rd entry on the left side is to add a entry to the BCD.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks for the help, but i got it working, i read through your wiki and figured out that when I installed leopard i did not load the darwin bootloader.

once I did that voila! now i need find drivers for my wireless and Ethernet. :tongueout::tongueout: