Boot manager corrupted for Toshiba NB520 netbook

skooby

Dear All,

I am a noob to this forum and windows 7 as well. I was using Toshiba Netbook NB520 for a while. After installing one resolution increasing app, it started misbehaving by BSOD. I have removed the program and restored the laptop to an older date than the installation of the resolution app, but did'n help. There is one Tohsiba recovery manager available in the netbook which allows to create a recovery USB, that can be used to restore. I tried to factory reset using the USB I created with Toshiba recovery manager, that turned out to be blunder as during the process, it stopped giving some file missing error and now the laptop wont boot anymore. Its giving BOOTMGR missing error while loading. Is it possible to recover my laptop using a bootable windows 7 USB, as I have some valuable data copied in my secondary drive. Highly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,

Skooby

Without knowing how far the recovery got and therefore what state your OS is in, it's impossible to say whether the OS can be fixed without going back to Toshiba to buy the appropriate recovery media for your PC.
You should however be able to recover your user data (provided that your attempt at recovery didn't wipe everything clean to start with) using any Linux bootable distro, as described here. I assume since you say "secondary" drive, that it's all stilll there.
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek
Though you'll need to create a bootable USB version rather than the CD described.

Helo Terry,

Thanks for the quick response. Last day I tried to recover using a bootable windows 7 USB, but it could'n find any windows installation in my lap. I guess OS is in a non-recoverable state now, my bad luck. As you mentioned above I will try to save my data using the linux distro. If I am doing a fresh installation of OS from USB, will it affect the data in the D drive ?..Also since I am having the license of windows 7 starter edition, which version shall I opt to for the installation.

Thanks,

Skooby

Unless you accidentally point the reinstall to the wrong drive, everything should be fine on any other partition.
In fact, if you have all your user data on a separate drive, you don't even need to do the Linux rescue. That's only really needed for users who have all their data stored on the C disk. They need to get it safely stored elsewhere before they overwrite the drive.
In your case it should be safely stored elsewhere anyway.
It's always handy to have the bootable Linux available for emergencies, so go ahead and make one, and you can test it out by checking that you've retrieved everything from your C:\Users\yourname folder. Windows annoyingly stores loads of things there no matter how hard you try to keep personal data off the C disk.
Although Vista/7 allow you to install any version from the DVD by skipping the key until later, you will eventually have to enter the key to activate the system within 30 days, and at that point the key will tell Windows which version you've paid for and if that's not the one you installed, it will stop working and you'll have to do the install all over again. You can do that if you want a 30 day free trial of Ultimate to see what you're missing, but your netbook might not have the resources to cope.

Last edited:
Back