Boot Manager Missing

jovonneb

Hello,

Newbie here. I have a hair-pulling problem with Vista. I recently did a hard system recovery and erased everything on my c: drive. When finished I rebooted, I have been getting Bootmanager Missing message ever since.

Now, I have tried everything a novice could do. I have googled the problem and read countless posts from this site and others. I did that bootexe. fix thing in the command window along with the other commands, that does not work. I have the Visa RE cd and did the startup repair a few times, that did not work.

What I think I need, because I am about to throw this computer out of a window, is a bootable or startup disc that can bypass that error message and start Vista.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
jovonneb

Hello,

Newbie here. I have a hair-pulling problem with Vista. I recently did a hard system recovery and erased everything on my c: drive. When finished I rebooted, I have been getting Bootmanager Missing message ever since.

Sounds like you deleted everything on your Vista partition, including your Vista boot files. So unless your system restore feature can take you back to a time before you erased everything, I'm afraid there's nothing you can do, short of reinstalling Vista...:frowning:

-Coolname007

When you refer to erasing everything on the hard drive did you reformat the drive? I think that's what you are trying to point out there. That would see all boot information wiped along with any files that had been on the drive in general. It's no longer bootable without an OS installed on it.

Hello all,

Thanks for your help.
Yes kairozamorro, I did try the link you specified but unfortunately that did not work either.

Sorry, I was not clear the first time. When I said erase everything on the c: drive, I meant with the Vista System Recovery CDs I had shipped from HP. It seem to go fine the fist time but when I got the Boot Manager Missing I tried to use the CDs again so maybe it will correct its own problem, but now the 1st CD reads an error half way through and the computer still reads Boot Manager missing .

thanks,
jovonneb

It sounds like an incomplete reinstall where a few files were never unpacked to the drive including the main bootmgr file itself. A fresh primary to see another clean install attempt pointed out by kairozamorro would be the preferred method.

Back