Boot menu not showing

Docfxit

Distinguished Member
I had XP Pro sp3 loaded on this Laptop. I created a new partition and installed Win7. I installed EasyBCD in XP. I did configure both XP and Win7. When I boot I don't see both XP and Win7 to boot into. I only see XP.

View attachment 2435

View attachment 2436

DriveLayout.jpg

How can I get EasyBCD ver. 2.2.0.180 to show the boot menu with XP and Win7?

Thanks,

Docfxit

Last edited:
When you installed Windows 7 after you installed Windows XP it should have automatically created the multiboot setup with the boot loader. You should not have had to go into Windows XP at all and do anything. When the system got done installing Windows 7 and rebooted, what did you see?

On the first boot I saw the boot menu for Win7 and XP. That's without EasyBCD installed. I chose XP. Then I saw the usual XP boot menu. I chose XP again. Since then every time I boot I only see the second boot menu with XP only on it.

Do I need to change the active partition to Win7?
I don't understand why EasyBCD isn't setting up the dual boot from within XP.

Thanks,

Docfxit

Last edited:
I dont understand why you got 2 boot menus and now you get none. You installed the OS's in the way Microsoft suggests and even state that their OS would perform a multi boot setup. You shouldnt even need EasyBCD for your setup to work properly. It should have been done automatically. Which means that there is something wrong with the boot configuration. That is why EasyBCD cant get it to stick.

Did you try using the Re-Write MBR attribute?

In EasyBCD I first tried BCD Deployment, Install the XP bootloader to the MBR. It booted up to the second boot screen with XP and not Win7.
Then I tried BCD Deployment, Install the Windows Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR. When I re-booted I received two boot menus. One with both XP and Win7 and the second with XP.
These are the screens:
IMAG0463.jpg
Please note the top line is XP
IMAG0462.jpg

Now I'd like to know how to get rid of the second screen?

Thanks,

Docfxit

Your boot.ini for XP contains two entries so it will present another menu when bootmgr chains to it.
Remove superfluous entries manually (EasyBCD > Tools > Edit legacy entries), or delete the XP entry from the BCD and add it again (auto-configure) if there is only one XP.
If you have multiple XPs and you want them to appear as options in the first menu, you cannot use the MS NTLDR (it doesn't support multiple BCD entries). You can use the Neosmart EasyLDR by adding the entries manually (no auto-config).
Windows XP - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Thank you for the explanation.
The reason there are two entries in Boot.ini is I have Microsoft Windows Recovery Console (for XP):
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

In the Windows 7 boot menu there is also a Microsoft Windows Recovery Console (Win7)
Is there a way for me to move the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console (XP) to the Windows 7 boot menu?

If I understand it correctly when the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console (XP) is removed from the Boot.ini the menu won't display any more.

Thanks,

Docfxit

I don't think you can add that option via EasyLDR from the 1st menu, but I'll leave CG to confirm or deny.
Simplest option - change boot.ini to timeout=1, then the second menu will be but a fleeting glimpse as the XP default is taken, but you still have a tiny window of opportunity to hit an arrow key during that 1 second, which will stop the clock and allow you to choose the recovery console if you ever need it.

You can move the XP recovery console entry to the bcd/bootmgr menu, but not with EasyBCD. You'll need to create a new bootsector entry with bcdedit from the command line.

Off the top of my head, it should be something like

bcdedit /create /application bootsector
bcdedit /set {..} path \CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT
bcdedit /set {..} osdevice partition=C:

But Terry's guide is a better reference.

Back