Boot Problem (xp/vista)

i've installed vista today, and i already have xp on another partition. the thing is that in xp, the winxp is installed on c: and vista on g: (same harddisk but, of course, different partitions). in vista (that i only booted once, after installing) the vista partition is c: and xp partition g: (or someone else, but not c:smile:
so, due to this, i can only boot xp. i tried to add a line in boot.ini, like this:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate"
so when i select vista on boot, i get this error msg:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
<Windowsroot>\system32\ntroskrnl.exe
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
it looks like he's trying to load ntroskrnl.exe in a wrong partition.

any thoughts on how to fix it?

here is an image of my disk management
http://www.yuri.elo.com.br/lixo/disk.gif

edit: i posted a link of the image cuz i cant see the attached one.

Attachments

• disk.gif
    disk.gif
    31 KB · Views: 61
You can't boot Vista from boot.ini

What you need to do:
Install EasyBCD on XP.
Use EasyBCD's "Bootloader Management" screen to "Reinstall Vista Bootloader"

Make sure Windows Vista and Windows XP are listed in the "Current Settings" page, if not, add them via the "Add/Remove Entries" page.

Reboot. You should have a *new* menu that has Vista and XP on it.

i've installed EasyBCD, and then it said something about rewriting the MBR, fine. then it asked me to reboot, so i did. so nothing happened.
i try to open EaseBCD and just says: "It seems that you're using Windows XP, and the Windows Vista BCD hasn't been properly installed. Would you like to configure it now?" I click on Yes. and then i get this message: "Warning! Are you sure you want to install the Windows Vista bootloader? You must have Vista installed on your hard drive somewhere for this step to succeed, or else you will not be able to boot into Windows. Did you used to have the Windows Vista bootloader installed?" so i click Yes again, now this message: EasyVCD has rewritten you MBR. In order for the changes take effect, EasyBCD will now close. Please restart EasyBSD at you convenience to begin the ultimate Vista bootloader customization process. [ok]
so i tried to run the EasyBCD and starts all over again.

what am i doing wrong?

can u tell me how do I delete the vista? i cant format the partition cuz it has my personal data files.
tried just Deleting, but it says Access Denied.

There is no need for that.
You need to right-click the files, properties, permission, and give your account full control.
Then you can delete.

Hello Guru,
I'm trying to get the Easy BCD working without success.
I read in a mail in this forum, that XP should be installed on C: and Vista on a different drive.
Therfore I reconfigured my PC: (2 discs - 1 ACHI on C and IDE on D
I installed XP on the C-drive (ACHI disk). The XP system booted fine.
I unpluged the drive and installed Vista on the IDE drive. Booting from this drive was also successful. I reconnected the ACHI disc. XP is now on C:/, whereas Vista is on D:/
Further I read, that I needed to copy the Vista boot directory (D:/WINDOWS/Boot to the root of the XP drive. I did so.
Afterwards I loaded down Easy BCD 1.52 and tried to install it.

When I now start Easy BCD I get the same errormessage as the other guy:
"It seems that you are using Windows XP and the Windows Vista BCD hasn't properly installed. Would you like to configure now?"
I pressed the yes button and confirmed the rewriting of the MBR. The program confirmed the MBR rewriting and told me to restart Easy BCD.
I get than the same message, even after rebooting the XP system.
So what is going wrong. Can you advise :huh:
Do you need further information?

Regards Indja

Hello Indja, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

The problem is that you unplugged your drive. You MUST NOT UNPLUG THE DRIVE when installing Vista or XP. You have to let it see your system AS IT'S GOING TO BE in order for it to work.

I'm not screaming, just making it clear for everyone... I should probably post this somewhere :smile:

Anyway, try re-installing Windows Vista to the same drive - but with the XP drive plugged in :smile:

Back