Boot XP and Windows 7

zebidee2

I formatted the disk in my laptop and then installed Windows XP followed by 2 versions of Windows 7 each in their own partition. When the computer boots I now have the option to start either XP, Win7 Main or Win7 New.

If I have been using XP and restart the computer and choose XP all works fine. If I have been using either version of Win 7 and restart the computer and choose either version of Win 7 everything is still alright.

However if I am using Win 7 and reboot into XP I briefly see the XP logo then the computer reboots. Again I select XP and I am presented with the screen stating that Windows did not start successfully, at this point if I choose Start normally XP boots correctly.

Likewise when using XP and rebooting into Win 7 the computer starts up and I see some of the Win 7 logo and then it reboots. If I select Win 7 again I see Windows failed to start, at this point I choose Start Windows normally and Win 7 boots correctly.

It would seem that one OS is over-writing some files of the other OS. I have tried to use EasyBCD to see what is wrong without success. I have done a complete re-install but the result is just the same. This type of setup works perfectly on my Dell desktop.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thank-you

Rebooting from Win7, selecting XP and then immediately pressing F8 gives me the option to disable automatic restart which I duly select. I accept the OS to start "Windows XP on D:\", the computer continues to boot, the XP logo appears but then immediately reboots. A similar event happens starting Win7 after XP.

After selecting Windows XP from the menu, repeatedly hit the F8 key until a second menu appears. Here, select "Don't automatically restart on system failure" and this time you'll get a BSoD instead of a reboot. Take note of the error code and the message and post them here.

Rebooting from Win7, selecting XP and then immediately pressing F8 I select the 9th option to disable automatic restart. I accept the OS to start "Windows XP on D:\", I press F8 again and select the 9th option to disable automatic restart and the computer continues to boot. As before the computer restarts with no BSoD

Addendum:

Booting from Win7 > XP in safe mode the last line I see before the reboot is acpitabl.dat
Booting from XP > Win7 in safe mode the last line I see before the reboot is classpnp.sys

Last edited:
Back