bootable easyBCD?

jarrick

hi, i had a dual boot system on one drive with 2 copies of windows 7 x64. I deleted one using partition magic and resized the other one to take up all the space on the hard drive - then I restarted... it gets to the dual boot screen where I can choose which opperating system to launch and it still shows both of them even though I've deleted one. If I try and launch windows it fails - it says that a required device is inaccessable (basically the other opperating system).
I put in my win 7 cd and tried to repair it but that didn't work.
I downloaded, burned and booted the recovery disk but it says that startup cannot repair my computer automatically.

what I think I need to do is run easyBCD and change things so it knows there's only one windows now, so is there a way to run easyBCD from a bootable disk?

Last edited:
the instructions posted in that link tell me to use startup repair. Do you mean I should skip the first part of those instructions and go straight to Manually Repairing the Bootlaoder via the command prompt?

I'm struggling with the instructions in that link: it says to "Replace x: in the commands below with the letter to your CD drive as detected by the Windows Recovery environment" but I can't work out what that drive letter is - where does it tell me?
Also, the instructions have been talking about getting to the Command Prompt via putting my windows CD in the drive, but the only way I could get to the System Recovery Options screen was to put in the Repair Disk, which I downloaded from your site, and it says in that link that the bootsect.exe file is not present on it. I have found the bootsect.exe on my other pc but don't know what to do with it - do I burn it to a CD and stick it in the drive?

If you had EasyBCD installed on either W7 system, you'll find a copy of bootsect in the bin folder inside the Neosmart folder. Specify the complete path to it in place of the x:.
If you don't know which letter is being used for your drives, from the command prompt use
dir a:
dir b:
etc through the alphabet and you'll see the contents of each drive.
You should be able to figure which is which.

I'm not sure what the path is - I've tried a few possibilities but it's not working.
I have another old pc with xp as the OS and I loaded easybcd onto it. I can link up my windows 7 hard drive to it and boot into xp ok. When I start up easybcd, it says "the boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system cannot find the file specified." and "would I like to manually load a BCD registry..." - I'm not sure if I should do this (I don't know where the BCD registry is located) or if I should take one of the options discribed here: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+with+EasyBCD
The thing is, I don't want to make that system into a dual boot afair, I just need to fix the bcd on the drive that I've temporarily added so could you advise me of the correct way to go about this?
Thanks

When it asks to manually load, just browse to \BOOT\BCD on the temporary drive.

You'll need to have enabled the viewing of system/hidden files first, though.

There is no BOOT file at all - I enabled viewing of hidden/system files (i can see the pagefile). what I need to know, is how to get the boot file, with everything in it without any risk of altering the other operating system or the boot profile of that pc- it's not mine and it's not backed up. can it be done?

well, how about if I reload windows 7 onto a spare hard drive, then add my old hard drive with the corrupt copy of windows 7 - then what's the best method of getting my old drive to be the one and only bootable OS on my system?

After doing that, EasyBCD | Bootloader Setup | Install BCD

Just select the temp drive from the drop-down. Then you'll need to go to Add Entry, and add a 7 entry on the temp drive.

Nope - not working. It appeared to install the entries ok but on a restart, a page comes up saying that windows has recovered from something terrible and gives me a bunch of options on if I want to start in safe mode or not - after that, it tries to fire up but then I get a blue screen with a bunch of writing telling me that I have to fix it with the windows disk.
I think something else is wrong and probably not to do with the bcd.

thanks for your help though

Back