Booting Errors with XP 1st / Vista 2nd

Clyde

Hi,

im having allsorts of problems when I try to make my machine dual boot, with XP 1st on C: and Vista afterwards; some reason last time I did this they were both on partion 0, and not in the order i installed, so XP had been changed to D: and Vista onto C:. confused??? yep, so am i.

I have XP installed first, as when I did Vista then XP I found that Vista had all the folders and folders from my XP directory. So infact Vista was doubling up, and running out of HD space.

So, hence my posting to get the proper information for partitioning, and dual booting.

I've made a partion with the tools available with the XP Installion CD. And installation absolutely fine. And manually downloading all 3 service packs in order.

Now I'd love your help to install Vista onto a new partition and dual boot, without me having to reformat my entire HD and do everything again and again.

A few bits i'd also like to have in consideration, in the help.

Does it matter if I install the 2 service packs later after I've done the easy BCD setup, or should I do those first. I ask as I had problems with the 2nd Service Pack in not installing at all.

And Do I install EasyBCD onto XP if that is the first OS I have installed?

Thankyou for your interest and time in helping me,
Cheers Clyde.

Clyde,

If you have space on the drive aside from drive C: that XP is booting from boot from the Vista DVD, select Custom (advanced), and than select the emptry space of the hard drive followed by Next to create a second partition on the hard drive where Vista well be installed. Vista's installer should auto-detect XP (being an older Windows OS) and setup a dual-boot for you, without the need for EasyBCD (though you should probably get Easy anyway in case you need it). The first thing you should do short of getting network connectivity after a new install is installing all Windows Updates and service packs. You may haft to check/restart numerous times before all the updates are installed.

The lettering difference is normal. Each system may label the partitions differently.

Back