Booting into Ubuntu

Apropos

Hey, I've been trying to get a triple-boot system going (XP, Vista and Ubuntu). I just want to be able to boot all of them from the same screen (right now it goes to the GRUB loader, then I can choose to go to the Windows/Longhorn loader which allows me to choose between XP and VIsta. Slightly annoying). I seem to be having some problems with getting it to boot directo Ubuntu through the Vista bootloader. I've read through the wiki and a few forum threads, but haven't had much success.

All three are installed on the same hard drive. In Windows XP, XP is drive C, Vista is Drive X and Linux is drive L. In Vista, Vista is drive C and XP is drive D. Linux is on hda6 (hard drive 0 partition 3).

Here is the bcdedit information, taken while in Vista.
Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=D:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {ntldr}
displayorder            {ntldr}
                        {current}
                        {832582d7-a71c-11dc-a6e4-0018e72b438c}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 10
Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier              {ntldr}
device                  partition=D:
path                    \ntldr
description             Windows XP
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {current}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows Vista
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {4b1ee123-a722-11dc-9f0b-806e6f6e6963}
Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {832582d7-a71c-11dc-a6e4-0018e72b438c}
device                  boot
path                    \NST\nst_grub.mbr
description             NeoSmart Linux

I've tried the few things I can think of, but nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nate

Yes. If it had worked so easily, I wouldn't be posting here. It always seems to give the same error while trying to boot into Ubuntu, saying "Cannot load from harddisk. Insert Systemdisk and press any key.".

Last edited:
Sounds as if GRUB wasnt loaded to the Linux partition and it cant find it to use it with EasyBCD.

Well, I may be mistaken, as I am very new to Linux. Where else would it be? It does go to GRUB initially, where I can then choose to go into the Windows boot loader. GRUB is certainly loaded someplace.

Well GRUB usually installs itslef to the boot drive. Which looks like the XP drive from what i can see. So that you would see the GRUB menu first then see the Vista bootloader after it.

If you repoared the Vista bootloader or GRUB didnt isntall there then you would only see the Vista bootloader.

So at this point you have to use a LiveCD and install GRUB to the Linux partition.

HOWTO: Restore GRUB (if your MBR is messed up) - Ubuntu Forums

There is a nice long list of instructions on how to do it. Now i could be wrong here. Guru knows more about this than me. I am just taking a wild guess. He will know once he sees your menu.lst what to do.

Well, I may be mistaken, as I am very new to Linux. Where else would it be? It does go to GRUB initially, where I can then choose to go into the Windows boot loader. GRUB is certainly loaded someplace.

That means GRUB was installed to your MBR and not the Ubuntu partition's bootsector.

Follow the steps on our Linux page to reinstall GRUB to the Ubuntu partition, then use EasyBCD to add an Ubuntu entry.

Linux - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Back