booting ISO's

brt

I am trying to build a boot menu where I can boot from some ISO's like the Avira recue disk and Clonezilla for example. I want to put these ISO's on a hdd in my pc. I did some attempts in vain. Is it possible to realize this plan? If so, is there an instruction available? I am quite new in this subject.

That sounds good. Let me tell you what I have tried and what I think. I don't know at this moment what details are relavant, so I will give more details when relevant.

I am using easyBCD v2.0.2. I go to ''add new entry''. Then I did two attempts without a proper result:
1) Under ''portable/external' and ''ISO boot'' I added the iso file located on my hard disk. After rebooting I got a new entry I could choose from. I tried the ISO called ''Avira rescue disk''. I saw Avira starting, but it gave an error halfway the booting process, which I cannot recall at this moment. I thought it was not succesfull since I am using an internal hdd instead of an external. I don't know if this is a good reason.
2) I googled on the internet and found this site: http://www.reaper-x.com/2011/10/22/how-to-boot-clonezilla-and-gparted-from-hdd-on-windows/. I created a new NeoGRUB entry with easyBCD and edited the menu.lst conform the site given. I tried to re-edit the script to get it working. Unfortuanetely. What I saw was a new GRUB bootlader, but when booting, the system couldn't find the proper vmlinuz file as I remember correctly.

So, I am curious, was one of these two scenario's the right way to my goal?

I did try only load from disk, but now I tried both options load from disk and load from memory. In both cases I got the same results. I have to admit that this Avira rescue disk ISO does load and boot. But after booting it starts up like a live cd. Then it performs a so called self check. There it fails. It says: '' Self check failed. The file failed the check''. I don't know the reason of this failure. That is what brought me to trying scenario 2 in my initial posting.

Like I said, when the CD attempts to do the hardware detection itself, things will fail. This is a bug in the Avira CD in that it doesn't support CD emulation, and not with EasyBCD/NeoGrub.

Okay. Of course I do believe you, but I cannot completely understand the reason.

Could you tell me whether my second scenario makes an alternative that works? In a very short summary: I tried to unpack the Avira CD iso on the hard disk and boot this live version with neoGRUB. This is what I understood from this URL: http://www.reaper-x.com/2011/10/22/how-to-boot-clonezilla-and-gparted-from-hdd-on-windows/

I tried to implement this description from the URL given, but failed. I think I made a failure in editing the menu.lst file. Maybe with a proper instruction I can make this work. But do you think this scenario is technically feasible?

Like I said - just because the procedure works for one CD, doesn't mean it will for another. If the authors of the software you're trying to boot into have configured it to manually detect and override the hardware, it won't work.

Back