Booting Multiple Windows and Linux Partitions

mkatz

My problem/question is at the bottom of this message. I have two hard drives in my system setup as follows:

Drive 0 - 500 GB
Partition 1 Primary NTFS - 50GB Booting Windows 7 - 32Bit
System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump
Partition 2 Primary NTFS - 50GB Booting Windows XP - 32 Bit
Partition 3 Primary NTFS - 50GB Unused (Intended for Windows 7 - 64 Bit)
Partition 4 Logical NTFS - 50GB Unused (Intended for Windows XP - 64 Bit)
Partition 5 Logical NTFS - 265GB Used for data storage

Drive 1 - 150 GB
Partition 1 Primary EXT4 - 30GB Booting Ubuntu 11.10 - 64 Bit
Active
Partition 2 Primary SWAP - 15GB Linux Swap Drive
Partition 3 Primary EXT4 - 30GB Booting Ubuntu 11.10 - 32 Bit
Unallocated - 75GB

EasyBCD Settings:
Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Windows XP - 32 Bit
BCD ID: {f02f45e6-0ef3-11e1-aa3b-d7ef80d43a4c}
Bootloader Path: \NST\ntldr

Entry #3
Name: Ubuntu 11.10 - 64 Bit
BCD ID: {f02f45ec-0ef3-11e1-aa3b-d7ef80d43a4c}
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr

Entry #4
Name: Ubuntu 11.10 - 32 Bit
BCD ID: {14220aad-0fd9-11e1-a77c-001e4fe74b95}
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub1.mbr

When I installed each of the Ubuntu versions I installed the Ubuntu boot loader (Grub 2) to their respective partitions.

When whether I select #3 or #4 from the EasyBCD boot menu I get #3. What do I need to change to get #4 to boot? I would prefer not to have to go through two menus (EasyBCD and GRUB) to boot the Linux's. I can Grub to automatically boot to Linux but can I do this uniquely for each partition with EasyBCD?

Eventually I plan on installing two more version of Linux on Drive 1 (Open Suse and Open Solaris). What will I need to do to get EasyBCD to boot each of the Linux's?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

When adding the Linux entries, you have an option of manually selecting the boot device for GRUB (legacy), but not for GRUB2.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It will have to be fixed in the next point release of EasyBCD.

thanks and a suggestion

Thank you. I will use Grub2 for the linux's for now but I am eagerly awaiting the new version.

I have subscribed to the beta thread as you suggested.

I also made a couple of suggestion, for the next release, in another thread in this forum.

Thank you for this useful utility,

Mike

Selecting Partition to Run GRUB2 from

I downloaded the version 2.1.2. How do I select which partition will be booted from when specifying GRUB2 as the boot type?

I tried just creating two new menu entries assuming that the first menu entry would automatically pick up the first partition and the second menu entry would automatically pick up the second partition. But botoh selections booted from the first entry.

Not at all.

When it's been developed, I'll make sure to state it in the beta thread post, there will be no doubt about it :smile:

I may be crazy but when I click on Download EasyBCD 2.2 Beta Build 160 in the beta forum I actually get "EasyBCD 2.1.2 Beta - Build 160.exe".

Please keep up the good work.

Back