Booting Snow Leopard using EasyBCD

Jason761

I am using a Asus P5KPL-CM and I'm having trouble booting into the Snow Leopard.

Firstly, I used the EFI mode and I can't get passed the Apple logo. I used verbose boot and i got stuck at the part where it detects my hard drives. So, I used the MBR mode. I booted into the Mac OS X selection and i chose the my SL drive. It booted successfully but couldn't get it in 1080p. It only gave me 1024x768 and also couldn't reboot successfully. How do i fix this?

Sorry about that, this post slipped under my radar.

EasyBCD can boot into OS X, but depending on your hardware configuration you'll need to install various kexts to get your video drivers working.

That's not entirely correct.

Our users here on the forum (I assume that's what you're referring to) have not been able to slipstream the kexts into the copy of the Chameleon bootloader that EasyBCD uses.

However, you're using the MBR configuration, not the EFI via Chameleon one. As such, you just need to copy the kexts to your local OS X install, from where they'll be read by the kernel at startup.

That's not entirely correct.

Our users here on the forum (I assume that's what you're referring to) have not been able to slipstream the kexts into the copy of the Chameleon bootloader that EasyBCD uses.

However, you're using the MBR configuration, not the EFI via Chameleon one. As such, you just need to copy the kexts to your local OS X install, from where they'll be read by the kernel at startup.
I'm actually trying to use EFI but i couldn't find out how to edit the NST_mac.iso I have read some threads hear explaining about doing something about chain0 but still that was no help.
My Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Asus P5KPL-CM
GeForce 9600 GSO
Kingston 2x 2GB DDR2 Dual Channel

Last edited:
It has been a while since I attempted to use EasyBCD 2 (six weeks). I remember trying to edit the nst_mac.iso and getting nowhere. I was able to boot my OSX hard drive thru EasyBCD but I'm not even sure what method I was using. The kexts set up on my Chameleon weren't loading so OSX was basically non-usable. I don't think I can just stick that stuff in the Extensions folder as there is a plist file involved with Chameleon.

In the end I bailed and just switch using the BIOS. I didn't have to do that when I was dual boot with XP but now I'm triple-boot with Win7 added.

Does the MBR method require the OSX installation drive to be formatted in a particular way?

I have to assume since no one is posting success booting OSX properly with EasyBCD that it hasn't really been done in the manner I require.

It has been a while since I attempted to use EasyBCD 2 (six weeks). I remember trying to edit the nst_mac.iso and getting nowhere. I was able to boot my OSX hard drive thru EasyBCD but I'm not even sure what method I was using. The kexts set up on my Chameleon weren't loading so OSX was basically non-usable. I don't think I can just stick that stuff in the Extensions folder as there is a plist file involved with Chameleon.

In the end I bailed and just switch using the BIOS. I didn't have to do that when I was dual boot with XP but now I'm triple-boot with Win7 added.

Does the MBR method require the OSX installation drive to be formatted in a particular way?

I have to assume since no one is posting success booting OSX properly with EasyBCD that it hasn't really been done in the manner I require.
I am not really sure if OSX has to be formatted in a particular way. I heard that you could replace OSInstall.mpkg with a modified version of it so you could also install using MBR instead of only GUID hard drive. I'm right now triple booting 2 Windows 7 and SL. SL is in another hard drive (seperate from Windows HDD) and i wonder if that's the issue.

The resolution limitation is NOT a result of booting via MBR, it's a limitation of not installing the right kexts.

MBR method requires that you don't install OS X to an EFI/GUID disk.

With many "hackintosh" installations there is more than kexts involved. DSDT files, plists, and whatnot. I would assume using MBR wouldn't work with those.

If I use EFI, its like a modified chameleon and it would not boot into SL. But when I use boot-132-mars, (it uses chameleon), it could boot into SL.

If I use EFI, its like a modified chameleon and it would not boot into SL. But when I use boot-132-mars, (it uses chameleon), it could boot into SL.

I set up a dual-boot Windows7 & Snow Leopard system for a friend using methods at tonymacx86.com (it was a Gigabyte motherboard). I would advise anyone that is considering a new build to consult that site.

The boot-132-mars method uses a CD or DVD, correct?

The trouble with my setup is that it's an older Asus P5KC motherboard and I'm doing a triple-boot. Win7 and XP are on separate partitions/same drive and OSX is already installed on a GUID partition on a separate drive. I switch startup disks in the BIOS which seems like the best way to go for me...until someone figures out a way to make it work (load the proper kexts and plist options) with EasyBCD or comes up with another plan. When I switch to the OSX drive, Chameleon sees the Win7 and XP partitions, but they won't startup as they require the startup disk to be the drive on which they reside.

... When I switch to the OSX drive, Chameleon sees the Win7 and XP partitions, but they won't startup as they require the startup disk to be the drive on which they reside.
Isn't that when you use Windows 7 DVD to fix the boot loader? And then use EasyBCD to add XP? I have two windows 7 installed in one hard drive and one partition in another hard drive is for backup and for SL. I am booting from my Windows 7 hard drive. But am I supposed to boot from my SL?

Back