booting Ubuntu 9.10 from Windows 7 bootloader on RAID0 help

Hello,

I've got Windows 7 installed on a RAID0 and I installed Ubuntu 9.10 successfully in another primary partition. However Windows 7 still boots and there is no bootloader coming up.

I followed the instructions in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1360445. Yet I have troubles. First grub2 wasn't installed but grub. Now I already removed the /boot/grub directory as per the instructions from that thread above. When I attempted to grub-install I got an "Unknown partition table signature" error.

Now I can access the ext4 Ubuntu 9.10 partition from the Live CD from nautilus without doing some fancy chroot thus I can see and access the contents of my Ubuntu 9.10 installation.

As grub-install has some troubles I deem it risky to try to install grub by some way. As Windows 7 boots I would like to use the Windows 7 bootloader. There seem to be some options like installing grub into a different partition and dd ing grub into a file and using EasyBCD or using NeoGrub. However I don't know how to do this properly.

Can anyone help me in setting up the Windows 7 bootloader? I have access to the vmlinuz and initrd.img files and paths. The NeoSmart Wiki is down at the moment. The Live Cd I downloaded on 02/12/2010. It's the x64 Ubuntu 9.10.

Thanks!!

Lars

Addendum:

I've tried EasyBCD 2.0 Beta build 79 and installed NeoGrub. The following is my menu.lst I copied from Linux:
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-14-generic
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/mapper/sil_bgacbicbfeae5 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
--end---

However I land at a grub prompt. Ubuntu doesn't load. hd0,2 I chose because Ubuntu is on my 3rd partition on hdd 1. Grub itself found hd0,0 on grub-setup. My Linux partition is ending in a 5 at /dev/mapper/... (Swap ends at 6).

Have I done something wrong? What else can I do? Help much welcomed!

Thanks!

Addendum:

Update:
I figured it's (hd0,4). Don't ask me why, it's just because Linux named the 3rd partition partition 5 thus (hd0,4).

However I get an "end of menu" error or something to this extent and am at the grub prompt. Typing in menu.lst s lines manually starts Ubuntu. (yay!).

Do you have a solution to not have to type in everything manually?

Last edited:
Hi, no, it's not. And the error reads MenuEnd followed by a hexadecimal number and preceded by a memory free/total memory. The next few lines show the standard grub intro text (works like bash, press TAB and so on).

And the lines in the file are exactly what you type at the prompt in order to boot Ubuntu?
Does it display any of the boot commands above the line with the error?
Have you checked for a /boot/grub/menu.lst on the linux partition and does it match the same commands in NST's menu.lst file?

Yes, the lines are identical, except the title line which I don't type.
No, it doesn't display any commands above the error. But there's another screen flashing for some milliseconds before the grub prompt. Perhaps I'll take a photo or video of the boot process (tomorrow).
A /boot/grub/menu.lst exists and it is the file I took the commands from. I even copied the C:\NST\menu.lst to C:\menu.lst as Grub4Dos might expect a menu.lst on the root of the FAT (NTFS) drive.

Hello,

here are the photos & video. Hope it helps:

a.png

b.png

c.png

d.png

http://planetlars.net/NeoGrub/CIMG0177.MOV

Back