Bootloader doesn't start

Techman224

I had two partition on my hard drive, One had Vista and one had Windows 7 RC, which had the boot files and flags. Before I went to start the Windows & installer, I deleted the Windows 7 partition. Then I started Windows 7 Setup. The problem starts at its first reboot, my computer just stalls with a blinking under-cursor, and I haven't been able to boot ever since. Could someone help me fix it. It's rather urgent.

Have you set the BIOS to boot CD before HDD ?
If not it will try to boot the incomplete install from the HDD instead of automatically rebooting to the Setup DVD during the install reboots.

No, you don't get it. I can't boot off the hard drive, but I can boot elsewhere (like a CD). There is a problem with the bootloader on the hard drive, not the BIOS. The BIOS works fine.

Yes, but did you boot the CD by using F8 to override the normal boot and select CD ?
That will work for the first boot, but it won't reboot to the correct place when installing an OS.
You need to have the BIOS boot sequence set so that the PC will always boot from CD if there's one in the tray. (no need for a function key override).
You should see a message "press any key to boot from CD" as soon as you power up with a DVD in the tray (which you do to initiate the Install, but you don't do for the reboots. That will make the install start from the beginning again)

You just don't get it,

All BIOS settings are fine. I even left the Installer DVD out and pressed F12 to boot off the hard disk, it didn't work.

The problem is on the Hard Drive, not the BIOS. The BIOS is perfectly fine, I can still boot off a DVD. It might be I screwed up the partition flags or the bootloader, or it could be something completely different. Do you get it now?

You just don't get it,

All BIOS settings are fine. I even left the Installer DVD out and pressed F12 to boot off the hard disk, it didn't work.

The problem is on the Hard Drive, not the BIOS. The BIOS is perfectly fine, I can still boot off a DVD. It might be I screwed up the partition flags or the bootloader, or it could be something completely different. Do you get it now?
Terry is correct.
(I'm afraid you're the one who doesn't get it)
Correct Windows 7 installation sequence is:

1. Put CD/dVD drive first in the boot sequence in the BIOS, and insert the Win 7 DVD.
  2. Exit the BIOS.
  3. Press a key to boot from the DVD.
  4. The Windows 7 installation setup program will now begin, and you can then proceed to install Win 7.
  5. Once setup is complete (the first stage), setup will reboot the computer.
  6. At this point, DO NOT take the DVD out, DO NOT change the BIOS, and DO NOT press a key when it says press a key to boot from CD.
  7. Setup will continue at this point, and you can finish setting up Win 7.
If you failed to follow any of the steps in point 6, the install will fail (hence why it did). You'll need to do the install again, I'm afraid.

I know you can't boot your hard disk.
We're talking about why your Install fails at the first reboot.
I asked a simple question about your BIOS boot sequence.
You could have replied with a simple yes or no.
Good luck getting anyone to help with your future problems.

By the way, my problem is fixed. The problem was with the boot sector. After moving my partition to the beginning of the drive, everything started to work again.

Back