BOOTMGR is compressed

StoryBoutAGirl

My friend has a Toshiba Satellite L300-04P laptop that he bought a while back. It has Vista 64 bit version on it. He never created a recovery disk for it.

He was having issues with it and brought it in to be fixed. They apparently put a new hard drive and motherboard and other things in it ("refurbished" it...) and gave it back to him.

It worked fine for about 3 weeks then one day when he turned it on he got a black screen saying "BOOTMGR is compressed. Press ctrl, alt, delete to restart.

I looked it up on google and created a recovery disk from here as it instructs: Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download The NeoSmart Files with the 64 bit version.

After choosing to boot from disc and waiting for windows to load the files it goes to the Windows screen to choose language and all that. I hit next step (just using the defaults from the US) and choose "Repair your computer" then choose "Microsoft Windows Vista" and click on next. When I do this I get an error saying "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with theis version of Windows."

I know I choose the 64 bit version from your website. I've double checked the torrent. Does this mean the computer does not actually have the 64 bit version but the 32 bit version instead? Or what? How can I fix this for him?

32-bit version is what you have installed, so you'll need the 32-bit recovery disc as the message states.

Back