Bootmgr is missing, no o/s found when using neosmart download

Hi to all

Sorry if I am repeating any previous threads, I am fairly new to the whole 'thread' environment.

I am having difficulties recovering my HP pavillion dv9000.

Last week when I switched on my laptop I received a message saying bootmgr is missing.

I downloaded the neosmart file, burnt it to disc, and all seemed well when it loaded up.

BUT, when I click on 'repair my computer' it cannot find an o/s.

I have seen other threads that mention this might not matter, and to fix startup problems anyway, three or four times, as there may be more than one problem.

Well I have tried this, about 8 or 9 times, and I am still getting the same message.

I am hoping someone might be able to direct me in the right direction.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Wooks

Hi SIW2

I'm now in the partion wizard home edition v4.1 but not sure what I need to do next.

Disk 1 shows

Partition *os, File system NTFS, Capacity 143.79GB, Used 90.14MB, Unused 143.71GB
Partition *HP_Recovery, File system NTFS, Capacity 5.25GB, Used 769.47MB, Unused 4.5GB

Disk2 shows

Partition *data, File system NTFS, Capacity 149.05GB, Used 498.28MB, Unused 148.56MB

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Rt click the OS partition and mark it Active ( if it isn't already). Click Apply.

The other thing you could try is to RT clisk on Disk 1 and select Rebuild MBR. Click Apply.

PW - REBUILD-MBR-2009-09-27_164452.jpg

Last edited:
Try marking the HP recovery partition Active. Restart - that should trigger the HP recovery program.

I am not sure what options it has - maybe similar repair options to those on your rec disc - plus restore to factory settings - that would wipe your data, though.

There may be an option to restore the o/s and save your data.

I don't have an HP machine - you will need to look at the options it offers.

Looks like you might be able to get to it by pressing F11( If that doesn't work - try setting it active as above)

How to Boot an HP Recovery Partition | eHow.com

according to this, it prompts you to back up your files :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&cc=us&product=18703&dlc=en&docname=c00809678

Last edited:
If you are horrified at that idea, try this:

d/l the attached .zip - extract it and copy the bootsect.exe ( not the folder) onto a cd.

View attachment bootsect.zip

Boot recovery disc , when it can't find the o/s , click next and select the Command prompt.

Type the following:

X:\sources>DISKPART

Diskpart>LIS VOL

(make a note of the dvd drive letter and the drive letter of your o/s partition - I have assumed it is C in the example below - if not, use the correct letter)

Diskpart>EXI

( remove Vista recovery disc - put cd with bootsect on it in the drive)

Type:

X:\sources>dvddriveletter:\bootsect.exe /nt60 C: /mbr

Last edited: